*WITHDRAWN* Mega Man 2 'The Annihilation of Monsteropolis'

Liontamer

May have to request a better encoding just to vote on it, current encoding is weak. - LT

Your ReMixer name: The Megas

Your real name: Greg Schneider

Your email address: aurazvid@yahoo.com

Your website: http://www.themegas.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: not sure

about the number, but my user id is Aura-Z.

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Mega Man 2

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Air Man

We (the Megas) are a 4-piece rock band currently working on translating the soundtrack to Mega Man 2 into rock songs with lyrics. The song I'm submitting is The Annihilation of Monsteropolis, which is our version of the Air Man stage song. I have included the track as an mp3, or it is available at http://www.myspace.com/themegas as well. Hope you enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 7 ("Air Man Stage")

I even went to The Megas' homepage hoping to get a better encoded version of this mix only to get stung with the 96kbps/22kHz weakness again. I need to check out their interview with Game Music Radio soon, as I'm a big fan of the live/cover bands in the scene; we need more.

The opening was decent, although the drums sound too plain/timekeeping. They're not interesting or creative enough to drive the song along, which wouldn't have been as much of a negative if that snare wasn't mixed so loud and the other perc parts weren't so quiet.

Feeling the harmonized lyrics at :16; good flow and nice lyrics. Production on them was a little dry, and they clearly suffer from the poor encoding also. The lead guitar work handling the Air Man theme was alright, though I wish you could hear the countermelodic guitar work more when it's the main thing supplementing the lyrics, e.g. 1:07-1:31.

Arrangement looked like it might have been repeating too much at 2:07 if y'all had kept the same structure, but at 2:19 y'all did a decent segue into the spoken word section. Nice work gradually building up the tension with the guitars leading to 2:45. Cool interplay with the harmonized vocals and spoken word from 2:44-3:09 heading back into the chorus for the close. Track seemed to cut off at 3:36 a fraction of a second too fast; regardless, I liked the idea for the ending.

The mixing was pretty rough, coupled with the crappy encoding and ho-hum percussion, which undermined a lot of the creative energy here. Get more creative with the snare while making sure the other percussion stuff isn't so lo-fi and drowned down. Do that, refine the production, and give it some love with at least a 128kbps/44kHz encoding, and you'd be golden.

Nice work so far, and I hope y'all take the criticism in stride and spruce this up. A stronger version of this track would no doubt win you even more attention.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Gross @ the encoding here. It's gotta be at least 44.1 khz. You're missing out on about half the audible frequencies in the spectrum otherwise. 96kbps *might* be passable, since we just passed a 112kbps MM3 rock medley, but that's really pushing it. It's really hard for me to look past this because it makes the other production aspects much harder to hear. For example, is the percussion really bleh or is it just being muffled terribly? I don't know. The only thing I think I can suggest is maybe a little more reverb on the lead guitar if possible. During the melodic solo part around the middle it sounds sort of dry. The performances overall, though, are good.

As for the arrangement aspect and the lyrics... great stuff! The structure is excellent and I really like the style and approach. The end section especially is just awesome. Rock on. The ending is needlessly abrupt, however.

Gimme a re-encode so I can hear the production. Will vote based on that.

• 2 weeks later...

yes and it certainly sounds as though the encoding is going to be the thorn in everybody's feet

so sad this is. the track is awesome. the feel of it is really good and it rocks through and through. the lyrics are pretty awesome too but i think they benefit greatly from the vocals which are even more awesome. the guitar parts are great

some of the mix is very dry, primarily the guitar leads. i know this is stylistic because there is no doubt about this being well put together and presented. i think i'm losing a lot of the mix from just the encoding. that is unfortunate because this arrangement is insanely good - the whole deal around 2:50 is just brilliant.

we need more of this sort of shit. i'm all into the lo-fi sound, trust me, but this is being hurt by something completely and entirely unrelated to the kickass arrangement, performance and vision of this track

one of the best videogame remixes i've heard in a long time.

just get us that damn encoding!

TEETERING ON THE EDGE OF FUTILITY

• 1 month later...

We can hold off on this for now. A new version will be on the way relatively soon. Exclamation pointz!

Hey there Larry - we're actually in the process of recording our album right now, so we'll send you the album version of that track once it's done. The one we sent originally is the demo version - the drums are synthesized whereas the new one has real drums on it, and everything else is recorded better as well. Odd about the sound quality - I didn't encode it myself but assumed it was at least 128kbps... sorry about that! The new version should be done sometime in the next month or so... I'll send it over as soon as I can. Thanks for getting in touch!

Greg