*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Rest Tonight'

Liontamer

Finally got some new material to throw at you all :) Took a while to get setup again after moving, but I'm back now.

I decided to go back to DKC2 again this time. I started listening to the soundtrack in my car and fell in love with the music again. This time it's the Lava theme, with lyrics.

ReMixer name: Darangen

Email: darangen@hotmail.com

Remix URL:

Name of game: Donkey Kong Country 2

Track Remixed: Lava

Lyrics:

what are you feeling?

you're sinking in the doubt

that you are living in

blinded by darkness

you think that you will

never see the end

you're going under

you feel that there's no way

you'll ever see this through

so captivated

you're lost and you just

don't know what to do

look out the window

you'll finally see

He's always been there

in all your need

He's always there by your side

just lay your head down

and rest tonight

'cause in the morning

you'll see the Light

the Light that comes from above

the Light that shows you His love

you feel Him moving

you can't explain it

you can't express the way it feels

uncomprehensive

you question Him

and wonder if it's real..

just like the waves

coming from the sea

He's whispering to you

in the breeze

He'll never leave your side

just lay your head down

and rest tonight

'cause in the morning

you'll see the Light

the Light that shows you His love

in the ocean of open dreams

i hear Your voice calling out to me

"I'll draw you here to my side

just lay your head down

and rest tonight

'cause in the morning

you'll see the Light

and I will show you My love"

----

Hope ya like it.

-Darangen

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Hot-Head Bop" (dkq-14.spc)

Finished strongly in the DoD August Free Month with 3rd place, so congrats. Good intro with the acoustic geetar + beetz. Vocal delivery sounds noticeably beginner-ish, but like I said with "Falling Back", it's good that Mike's unafraid to do vocal mixes and at the same time hone those skills for the future.

The chorus's vocals felt odd with the possibly wavering pitch, but the "he's always there by your side" line 1:23 was a good way to cover for a lack of vocal strength by instead using delay and fadeout to extend that last note. Overall though, the delivery on the chorus vocals was, IMO, weaker than the delivery on the verses.

The actual instrumental portion felt sparse with the instrumentation. The vocals bled into the instrumentation, and felt drowned down most of the time.

Nice changeup in the arrangement at 3:14, though the drums brought in at 3:34 didn't mesh well with the other sounds; sounded completely pasted on top. The tone sounded a bit too synthetic/unrealistic.

Might make it, might not make it, but I'm gonna be a stickler on this one. I'm aware that we're an amateur community, and I'm not expecting pro-level vocals. But after hearing Mike do such a great job with producing "Falling Back's" vocals to compensate for not being a strong singer, this is definitely a step down in terms of the performance.

The backing instrumentation did changeup every few minutes, but still felt too samey with the arrangement ideas; not a big negative, but a negative to me just the same where the song tended to drag along. To me, those issues undermided the overall creativity of the genre change here.

I liked most of the other ideas here, but there were a lot of smaller issues that ultimately added up for me. Stronger delivery on the chrous's vocals alone would push this over for me. As is, NO (borderline). Best of luck with the rest of the vote.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really sure those electronic drums fit in; the timbre doesn't really fit the mood, and the pattern is kinda plodding. There's also an inordinant amount of reverb on most elements in the mix which muddies everything up. What's the deal with that? At least cut down the verb on the kick and the bass. The rest of the production was OK, but really, focus on the reverb/muddiness issue... it's very distracting.

The vocals here weren't too bad in my book, and I liked the lyrics, but compared to Falling Back they are more exposed and that's probably not a good thing. Perhaps with a more driving rhythm section and a more prominent guitar, they would sit better in the context of the rest of the song.

The arrangement was good though the section w/ the acoustic drums might have come a little too late, and a less abrupt ending would be preferable. But, nothing really problematic in this area.

I'd say rework the production on this so everything is more clear, and perhaps do another take of the vocals and see if you can step it up a notch there.

NO