DragonAvenger

Contact Info

ReMixer name: Just Coffee
User ID: 32271

Submission Info

Game: Castlevania (NES)
Arrangement Name: Vampithrillic

My comments:

I might just be going through a phase right now, but I am having a lot of fun with this genre. Here's an 80s remix of Castlevania.

Hello OCR, Vampire Killer is something I've always wanted to make a remix of way back when I was first learning my how to's. Previous attempts were mostly EDM but they weren't very good so I scrapped the idea. Time went by and I've decided to revisit the project and redo it with new knowledge and a different flavor.

Initially, I wanted it to be kind of a funky cop movie theme but elements of the source kept tugging at me to make it more like a horror movie pop song in certain spots. So I redid a few more phrases and added the prologue slowed down to half in order to give it a spoopy intro. I also added the notable bassline from Stalker because it makes for a nice interim between phrases. The 8-bit sample break that starts at 2:00 is an attempt to harken back to dance breaks, like in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" wherein there's just the beat and dancers would literally step up to take the spotlight. Since I have no dancers, I stitched the samples together to make it seem like there's some dancing going on as well as serve the nostalgia whine to go with the cheese.

Since my first submission, I've been on the learning curve for mastering and I'm still learning a lot with every song that I do. And since I'm self-taught, I have no immediate way of determining whether I've done a proper master or not. So please let me know if there's clipping in areas, if it's too quiet or loud, or if I need to remaster from scratch. I value feedback a lot and I've always appreciated it most coming from OCR.

Cheers!

-Coffee
---------------------

Definitely fits the bill of the 80's genre here. Really enjoying the soundscape you created here, and the groove is really great. A lot of detail went into little parts, like the percussion hits, and it really makes the track shine. Soundscape is clear, with the leads shining through well. 

Really enjoyable track all around, nice work!

YES

Yup, sounds solid to me. DA does a good job summing up where it hits right: great groove, clean soundscape, clear leads, delicious details throughout. The guitar work has some wonky-ass phasing action, but considering the style here it adds to the charm, here. The ending was a bit of a let-down - a single bass note. I mean, it's better than nothing, but I was a little disappointed, after how tasty the rest of the track was. If I'm to be VERY nitpicky, I'd argue that the overall soundscape feels a little static, but it's nothing that drags this track too much, at all.

Not much else to say here, this is pretty great stuff.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/04 - (3Y) Castlevania 'Vampirthrillic'
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, right up my alley.  There's sort of a contrast for me in this song, as it tries to sound 80s, with the drums and percussions, but the synths are screaming early 90s to me.  The saw synth sounds more like a jp8k than a Jupiter 8, which is the sort of sound I expect in these kind of synthwave styles.  Regardless, I think that the clash of soundstyles won't be that apparent for people who aren't geeks about this, which I guess I am, and there's really nothing wrong with the sound themselves and how they sit in the mix.  

The mix itself is clean, and drums feel punchy.  The arrangement is somewhat conservative but helped by the style to which it was translated to, and the instrumental breaks which use small sections and motifs from vampire killer to interact, and sometimes do call and response with the varied percussion writing.  

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03582 - *YES* Castlevania "Vampirthrillic"