*NO* Paperboy 'Steely My Paper'

Liontamer

Hi!

This is my first attempt at sending a remix to OCR, and it's a short jazz/funk/fusion version of the NES Paperboy music. The theme was just screaming for some sweet rhodes chords!

So to the details:

Contact Info

* ReMixer name: Rune Flobakk (I prefer not to use pseudonyms...)

* Email address: rflobakk@online.no

* userid on the forums: 15651

ReMix Info

Everything "administrative info" should be in the mandatory ID3v2 tags.

Here is the original soundtrack in NSF format (not my rip): http://gilgalad.panicus.org/nsf/paperboy.zip

I saw Mark Cooksey (http://www.ocremix.org/composer/id/48/ credited as the composer of the C64 Paperboy theme, and I have assumed he is also the original composer for the NES port of the game.

The remix name is obviously a combination of Paperboy -> Steal My Paper -> Steely Dan -> Steely My Paper. As in ha-ha-funny ;)

So, I hope I've included everything necessary. If anything is missing, just contact me :)

-----------------------------------------------------

http://gilgalad.panicus.org/nsf/paperboy.zip - Track 1

Thanks for linking to the original. Even kingshriek didn't have it, so I wouldn't have known where to get it. I don't think Mark Cooksey's the original composer though; he probably just did the C64 port.

I like what you've got here. I'm glad the direct sampling of the source wasn't around any longer, or it would have been too much. Rhodes finally replaces the NES at :51.

The drums didn't seem to fit; bit too punchy. There's something with everyone's drums not quite meshing well with their subs, but oh well. They're OK, though that one snare shot is so loud and droning, while all other percussion writing is arguably too quiet and understated. It's only until 1:59-2:11 where it's pretty audible and contributes, thanks to you upping the cymbal volume briefly.

Liked the new writing accenting the conservative arrangement from :58-on, mostly with the wahs, drumwork, and brass writing. Good segue into the freestyling at 1:49-2:12, followed by going back into the source tune at 2:12 with nice brass writing until 2:21. Didn't like how it went back to the more straightforward coverage from 2:21-2:55, and then went back into the NES theme, just because it feels like a step down from the creativity of earlier. Nonetheless, it was creating notable dynamic contrast within the constant tempo, so that was a plus. 2:55 crossfades back into the original from 2:55-3:29 for the close.

I think more things could have been done with the arrangement to move further away from the more conservative parts, which leaves me on the borderline. Still though, while the source structure was intact, the additions/embellishments and solos were substantial enough to put it over the top. Nice work.

YES (borderline)

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike Larry, I consider the drums in this mix to be the best part. They're a perfect example of acoustic drums sounding their finest. My problem with them is that there wasn't any real percussive support for them.

Now the problems with the rest of the mix. Way too over-reliant on direct sampling. Repetitive even when not relying on the sampling. The guitar gets unbearably loud midway through the mix, whether it's the distortion or EQ it needs fixing.

The rhodes and brass were good. Some might dislike the brass samples but they fit in well with what you have going here. The wah guitar was enjoyable to give it that 70's feel.

My suggestion, get rid of the direct sampling. It's horrible. If you really want to keep it, just limit it to the beginning of the mix and maybe touch it up so it's centered between both left and right channels. Right now it's favouring the right ear and making me want to claw my headphones off.

good work, but it needs an extra bit of good work to make it great work.

NO

Great jazzy piece. I love how the whole thing is put together; Lee is right, percussion is top-notch acoustic stuff. Very nicely sequenced.

Brass is also handled really well. It's hard to get fake brass to sound like that, so nice work there too.

However, I think that the direct sampling is an issue. The novelty of "OMG VIDEO GAME SONG" has long worn off; This song would benefit from scrapping that old-school sound and starting off with a proper intro and ending off with a proper ending. Right now the structure of the song is essentially "BGM."

An intro, an ending, a solid solo section, and some more creative rhythmic interpretations could really take this piece to another level.

You have the skill set as far as production and sequencing is concerned. Now just bring some more of that arrangement skill to the table.

NO but definitely resub.

GAH.

You're killing me man. This sounds so sweet, but its really just a straight up cover with a solo section and some great horns/rhythm section work. I'm gonna need to think about this one for awhile.

--------------------------------

Yeah, I tried to find some way to justify passing this and I just can't. Harmonically and melodically this doesn't stray from the original for an instant. Great additions and nice little solo section can't redeem that.

I really enjoyed this. If you want to retool it for OCR that'd be great, but otherwise I hope you find a way for this to get heard. Also, coming up with an actual intro and ending would make this twice as awesome.

That's all I got.

NO

Great production, sequencing, etc.

unfortunately there's really no arrangement to speak of. Horn lines add flourish, and the solo is a nice distraction, but that's not nearly enough to qualify as an arranged track. I'd love to hear more material from you in the future that's a bit more creative, but this is not in line with the site's mission

NO

The drums didn't seem to fit; bit too punchy.

Apparently you've never run across the ENTIRE genre of funk. Check it out some time.

Bitch, plz. I funk you in da ass.

*sigh* you need to spend less time on the radio and more time listening to tower of power. or maybe james brown. ever heard of him?

Fanatics-Tower of Power?

EDIT (12/25): Damn, Jon, you killed James Brown.