OCR03755 - *YES* Zelda 2 "Do You Need a Light?" *RESUB*

Gario

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, this gets it done now as far as making things more polished, but I still can't help but feel like this has a really limited dynamic curve despite all of the wild writing going on. I think it's just that when the breakbeats are in play, the track seems like it hovers in one gear the whole time, which makes it feel plodding despite all the obvious changes in the textures. More should have been going on with the breakbeat writing, but beyond 2:07 there was more attention paid to that before the close. If anything, I think the breakbeats were coasted on too much leaving the energy level feeling relatively flat after a while. All in all, it's over the line, but maybe another J could better articulate why this doesn't feel like the potential is fully realized or if I'm on the right track. Still a win though and creative, expansive work by Jonas.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/02/18 - (1Y) Zelda 2 'Do You Need a Light?'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

Going in fresh. The breakbeats and glitching are well done. Instrumentation is fairly simple, but works for the most part. The lead in the centre is nice and clear with a lot of breathing room. The accompanying parts don't draw attention. I understand where Larry is coming from in his vote. The track doesn't overly evolve once it's up and running. The breakbeats do change around quite a bit from bar to bar, but because they play almost continuously and don't let up, their patterns begin to feel very samey across the arrangement, even when they are doing different fills. The slight break at 2:05 provided a brief change of pace but by a few bars things were back to busy again. I thought the outro was well done. Overall I don't think things here are too bad, the production is slightly muffled IMO but still decent with a good amount of space between the parts. If the arrangement was much longer with similar pacing it might have caused issues, but at the given duration I think it's ok.

YES

• 2 months later...

Pretty straightforward take on the original theme here.  The connection to the OST is never in doubt here as the theme is all over this.  I like the style you've brought, though I think there's more room for some liberties with the melody beyond the effects & counter melodies.

Glitching around the :20 mark felt a bit awkward to me as some of the hits sounded off-beat.  Seemed early in the track to be pulling this kind of breakdown-type idea out, but to each his own.

I can also echo the sentiment that the energy level pretty much plateau's when it gets established.  Some work on building excitement by transitioning well between low/high energy parts could go a long way here.  I did like the delayed re-entry for the beat around 2:13 and there were lots of creative touches sprinkled throughout the track.

Ending felt lackluster to me, but it does get the job done.

YES

• Nutritious changed the title to 2018/02/18 - (3Y) Zelda 2 'Do You Need a Light?'
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2018/02/18) *YES - TAG* Zelda 2 "Do You Need a Light?"
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic