MIX A SNAPULMEN SONG!!!!

http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8933&st=100&gopid=440018entry440018

Check out my last post in that. You can download that .rar file with all the tracks for a short little song. Mix it, document what you did to what channel, post it here. Also, read what the people at the shizz do with it.

No better way to learn to mix better, I think.

Oh yeah, a link to the files would be nice....

http://inverteddungeon.com/triacesuperfan/SnappleMan/FFMQ_MixingTracks.rar

SURPRISE, FUCKERS!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fngwjx

Okie dokie then. This was mixed and mastered in FL Studio 6.4. THAT's RIGHT FOOLS I SAID IT!

For this I wanted to keep it simple, cuz I thought it would be plain silly to just throw Fxs up the wazoo in there. Snappleman mixes tend to be fairly balanced in terms of its bass, mid and high frequencies. So I opted to do something similar with this. But having said that, I also wanted to put a little twist in his mixing philosophy.

GUITARS

Lead Guitar: I put a little overdrive and a delay along with a light phaser, to give a slight

texture to it.

Rhythm Guitars: I panned the Left and Right rythms guitars to their respective spots, and raised the low shelf eq frequencys just a bit, especially with a notch boost at around 90hz. For me, this always seems to be the "sweet spot" of bass frequencies, as when you keep the notch width relatively small, then you don't get too much rumbling in the sub, but you still feel it in your chest a bit. Then afterwards I added some stereo seperation in thar.

Bass Guitar: not much too say. it handles the...please don't make me say it.

DRUMS

For the drums, I was inspired a bit by how Braincell mixed the drums in "Live at the Sandopolis", but I did not necessarily mix them in the same way.

Kicks: I gave the kicks a couple mid-high notch boosts to make em cut through the guitars and notched boosted at around 87-90hz

Toms: A little bass boost as well on the low shelf so they wouldn't sound too thin, but I also balanced the new bass frequencys out with a notch filter in the mid high zone.

Snare: has some overdrive to make it a little stronger.

Hats : Like Braincells' Sandopolis mix, I wanted the cymbal crashes to be out there a bit, so I compressed the hats channel a bit and raised the level and lowered the high shelf a bit so they didn't sound too ear piercing a the high frequencies. And sorta to also "make way" for the incoming synths.

SYNTHS

With the synths, I decided to fade them in slowly around halfway through in a waythat's somewhat subtle, almost treating them as backing/supporting synths. I guess the goal was to build up a climatic momemt of sorts.

The guitars and drums were then put into their own respective routes, and mixed against each other. Finally, the Master Channel was given a multichannel compressor(barely used, just some band eqing mostly) and a limiter.

SURPRISE, FUCKERS!

Okie dokie then. This was mixed and mastered in FL Studio 6.4. THAT's RIGHT FOOLS I SAID IT!

For this I wanted to keep it simple, cuz I thought it would be plain silly to just throw Fxs up the wazoo in there. Snappleman mixes tend to be fairly balanced in terms of its bass, mid and high frequencies. So I opted to do something similar with this. But having said that, I also wanted to put a little twist in his mixing philosophy.

GUITARS

Lead Guitar: I put a little overdrive and a delay along with a light phaser, to give a slight

texture to it.

Rhythm Guitars: I panned the Left and Right rythms guitars to their respective spots, and raised the low shelf eq frequencys just a bit, especially with a notch boost at around 90hz. For me, this always seems to be the "sweet spot" of bass frequencies, as when you keep the notch width relatively small, then you don't get too much rumbling in the sub, but you still feel it in your chest a bit. Then afterwards I added some stereo seperation in thar.

DRUMS

For the drums, I was inspired a bit by how Braincell mixed the drums in "Live at the Sandopolis", but I did not necessarily mix them in the same way.

Kicks: I gave the kicks a couple mid-high notch boosts to make em cut through the guitars and notched boosted at around 87-90hz

Toms: A little bass boost as well on the low shelf so they wouldn't sound too thin, but I also balanced the new bass frequencys out with a notch filter in the mid high zone.

Hats : Like Braincells' Sandopolis mix, I wanted the cymbal crashes to be out there a bit, so I compressed the hats channel a bit and raised the level and lowered the high shelf a bit so they didn't sound too ear piercing a the high frequencies. And sorta to also "make way" for the incoming synths.

SYNTHS

With the synths, I decided to fade them in slowly around halfway through in a waythat's somewhat subtle, almost treating them as backing/supporting synths. I guess the goal was to build up a climatic momemt of sorts.

The guitars and drums were then put into their own respective routes, and mixed against each other. Finally, the Master Channel was given a multichannel compressor(barely used, just some band eqing mostly) and a limiter.

Hey, that totally pwns.

:nicework:

SURPRISE, FUCKERS!

GUITARS

texture to it.

DRUMS

SYNTHS

Pretty good, but I got a few complaints. The overdrive that you added to the guitars was not only unnesessary but it destroyed alot of the nice round tone that the original tracks had.

The stuff you did to the drums killed most of the tone and dynamics, the drum track sounds very flat and lifeless now.

The fading in synths is too blatant and loses any subtlety you were planning on. Maybe if you kept a couple of them and then faded in the last synth track later on? It sounds kinda silly having them all come in at once like that.

You mixed the bass way too low and the song sounds like it has no rhythm without a defined bass.

Sorry to be so rough, but mixing is a serious problem within these communities that nobody addresses. We gotta be tough to learn properly. :)

Try again and see if you can't improve on those points I made.

Oh, also, the compression on the overall track is too heavy, you should take it down a bit.

I gotta admit, it is a little bit unfair to give people this kind of a track to mix, because it's much more difficult that having to mix a song with just synths or an orchestral song. I mean, synths are the easiest to mix because they are very easily controlled in terms of frequency, and can all cut through perfectly no matter what (with a little care that is), and most orchestral samples that people here use are made to be easily mixed, pre-panned and all that.

This song contains nothing but dry elements, some synths, and some live. Frequency slotting is really tough with guitars because such a dynamic instrument really suffers if you cut any of the wrong stuff out, and for those less experianced with guitars, it's hard to tell what a good guitar should sound like. And the multi sampled drumkit is extremely hard to mix, and easily the make or break element of this track.

I urge everyone to use every mic channel when mixing the drums, it's the only real way to get a live, organic and dynamic sound out of it.

Nah man, I appreciate you giving me your honest opinions. Although I did do some of that stuff intentionally, I admit there's alot of folks out who just don't know alot about mixing and eqing, and I don't claim to be an expert. But still, it's fun to mess with this stuff and Ya get to hear others ppls takes on the same material, their mixing styles and such, should they come across this topic.

I've listened to the other versions ppl have made on the DOD thread. And you're right in the sense that it's interesting how different each person's mix comes out. Granted, some are still working on them, but the differences are there. A learning experience, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

My version.

Kept it pretty simple and dry, only used a little bit of reverb on the snare and toms. I panned the drums around to how I pictured they were set up and used moderate compression on the snare, toms, and kick. Very light compression and EQ on the guitars, synths, and bass. Also applied a hi pass filter on almost every track but the bass, kick, and toms at around 100hz.