OCR03965 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Stickerbrush"

Gario

Live remixing panel, eh? Ah, that's a pretty cool idea; I should do that in the next con that I go to.

*Ahem*

Some juicy action in this one - really enjoying the drums on this one, in particular, and the selective side-chaining is a tasteful way to clear space for it. The arrangement is pretty wet, but in combination with crisp percussion it manages to come together pretty well. That ending is a bit of a bummer, though; it sounds like the track was left unfinished, especially on the note it ends on and the fact that the track just... rings out. Having the release get cut off at the end doesn't help, either; let it ring out or dry up the release of those instruments a bit to avoid that.

Still is a pretty solid track, all in all, and would be a great addition to the front page.

YES

Nice fade-in of the melody followed by the drop at :28; right from the get-go, this puts a lot of personality and swagger to the presentation. I liked the beats added in at 1:05 giving a little extra oomph and making the rhythm feel different despite the tempo being the same.

Just a fun listen overall; even though the overall energy level's consistent, there are a lot of small yet constant subtle evolutions of the sounds and textures to keep this developing throughout. A textbook example of how to be melodically conservative yet overtly interpretive and personalized.

For me, the ending cut off suddenly, so that needs to be fixed, but other than that, this is stellar from Andrew!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/10/01 - (2Y) Donkey Kong Country 'Stickerbrush'

I like the instrumentation on this a lot.  Big sidechained synths and cool drums.  Tons of re-arrangement when it comes to harmony and re-structuring of the source makes this stand out from the other stickerbush remixes I've heard.  My only real gripe here is the ending which was pretty sudden and anti-climatic.  Makes it sound like it just wasn't finished.

Overall, even with the non-ideal ending, this just works very well.  If we can change that ending it would be better of course, but if it's posted as-is, it's ok too.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2018/10/01 - (3Y) Donkey Kong Country 'Stickerbrush'
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, the tail of the reverb cut out, so that's a mandatory fix.  And the ending in general was indeed disappointing.  Otherwise, this is pretty much exactly what one would expect from Andrew under a time constraint: nothing groundbreaking but fun and competent.  Not thrilled with the name--had to read it 3 times before I could tell it wasn't just the name of the source--but it'll do.

YES/CONDITIONAL (on letting the tail fully fade out)

Edited by MindWanderer

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, sweet; I was there at the MAGFest 2018 live panel that planted the seeds for this mix!  It's so awesome to hear it in a finished form!

Excitement over, the production immediately strikes out as well defined.  I sensed crispy drums, clever side-chaining, a balance focusing more on wetness, a meaty synth palette swapping and changing whenever, and many different filters and gates.  They all work well together and add a large amount of fun to the overall experience.

The arrangement starts straightforward with one rendition of the theme, but the breakdown at 2:00 with the new rhythm polysynths adds a side of energy that wasn't even present in the original.  The bass writing throughout had given it a substantial lift as well and made it feel like the track went through multiple EDM sub-genre changes in the space of its nearly-4-minute length.  Of course, I wasn't too keen on the abrupt ending - it just ended right at the end of the second run-through, with no other fanfare.  It isn't a dealbreaker as it hit a lot of right notes elsewhere.

If I based my assessment on the initially submitted track, I would've also gone conditional based on the ending's abrupt cut-off.  However, Andrew co-operated and sent over a new render that fixed the issue.  Combined with the production chops and subtle care to a subtractive arrangement, I feel confident in seeing this on the front page for sure!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03965 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Stickerbrush"
  • Liontamer locked and pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic