OCR04076 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Proxy Challenge"

Rexy

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): Twilight Princess
Song Title: Proxy Challenge
Songs Remixed: Temple of Time (the dungeon one)

This one was actually co-composed between myself and “Nirias”.  He doesn’t have youtube or anything, but he does have a bandcamp here: https://nirias.bandcamp.com/

• 2 months later...

this is a pretty spare original, but you've done quite a bit with less before so i'm interested to see where this goes.

the intro seemed long, but i liked the additive nature of approaching such a simple source 'tune'. the first lush chord at about 0:35 was really a fun change, and the continued use of chromaticism in the background was a nice approach to a melody that featured tritones. the rhythmic section from 1:24 through maybe 1:34 was a little odd at first, but it really fleshed into the best part of the track, which is the flute flourish into solo over the top. as a whole i liked the realization that you did. from an arrangement perspective, there's not a ton of changes made to the original (if at all), but the additive stuff you brought in did a nice job keeping it interesting.

from a technical perspective, the track is pretty muddy (there's a lot of fast low runs in the bass) and the track needs compression to help some of the quieter parts stand up to the eventual louder sections of additive arrangement. it also has ~15s of silence at the end.

as a whole i do think this is over the bar. i'd love a better-mastered version but i think i say that about all of your tracks. the arrangement is organic and approachable and there aren't glaring mastering issues holding it back. trim the silence at the end and this one's ready to rock.

YES (conditional on removing silence)

edit: silence removed, this is a YES

Edited by prophetik music

I'm basically in agreement.  It's simple but it's much more vibrant than the original, with a lot of subtle complexity thrown in.  If anything it gets maybe a little too frenetic for such a mellow melody.

The mastery seems fine, but I've been listening to several much-too-quiet arrangements of yours lately, compared to which this is a vast improvement.  Just needs those last 15 seconds trimmed off.

Edit 5/26: And done.

YES 

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/04/15 - (2C) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Proxy Challenge"
  • 2 months later...

Wow, that source is sparse.  It's so simple it can translate to an 8-bit chiptune with minimal note modifications.

Either way, the treatment is surprisingly engaging.  It doesn't go through any straight loops - which makes sense, as source use accounted to two melodic riffs throughout, and all the percussion got changed entirely.  Dominance checks out, as one motif or both is present up until the ending at 2:35.  And so does the interpretation - while the melodies themselves remained as they are, that left a lot of room to flesh it out with an evolving orchestrated accompaniment that gets increasingly lively as time goes on.  It's so captivating to listen to - good stuff.

The presentation is also serviceable - the articulations are gorgeous, and the balance is spot on overall.  I did, however, feel there was a touch too much emphasis on the low to low-range, which I believe bringing the levels down for the deeper-sounding instruments can fix.  It isn't a dealbreaker, as it did a lot more right, and it serves as more of a nitpick in the soundscape.

What isn't a nitpick, and something I've experienced, is wondering why the track got submitted with 15 seconds of silence at the end.  It takes up data, it's not like Rebecca usually, and it's something that should quickly get cut before posting.  Otherwise, it sounds great, it's hugely interpretive for what it is, and should get out there for others to enjoy. Excellent teamwork, you two!

[EDIT: One hour later, I got a new render from Rebecca with the silence taken out.  It's good to go!]

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/04/15 - (1Y/2C) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Proxy Challenge"

I wasn't immediately sold on this track. During the intro, I found the synth-epiano and minimal percussion to be robotic and wasn't a compelling enough sound to carry the track on its own. I would have appreciated some light ambiance to pad that out and offer something less on-the-grid for that introduction.

Fortunately though, things fell into place as more layers started to emerge. Your wind and harp writing provides a lovely expansion on some of the original Temple of Time melodies and are sequenced fairly well. The little glitch at 1:08 was really cool, I wish there were more flourishes like this. I have to agree that some of the low-end mixing and writing muddies up the track, and those bass parts could stand to be replaced by an instrument with less of a tail, but it's not a huge deal. 

It's not the strongest yes, but I appreciate the efforts made to personalize the original and the sample quibbles weren't enough to bring down what you brought to the table! Props for tackling a lesser-known Zelda source as well, especially one as tricky to work with as this. 

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2019/04/15 - *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess "Proxy Challenge"
  • MindWanderer locked this topic