Street Fighter 2- T.Hawk Theme Remix

PadreMulk

Super Street Fighter 2 - T Hawk Theme Remix (UPDATED)

Hi!

Hoping to get some feedback on this remix ive done.  I'm mostly done with it but i'm trying to polish it up.

Some questions. Is it too busy, cluttered sounding? Is it too bass heavy? I tried a brighter variant with more mids and went back to this. The instrumentation ok?

Also  if you spot any faux pas in there that ive missed, let me know and i'll argue that it was intentional :P

Thanks for the advice, ive made some small updates.less swing, levels on pads changed in places. added some definition to the lead sound (hopefully). layered a couple more instruments

the comp section, ive made it a little better. sorry liontamer, i didnt change it that much i kinda like the simplicity of it.

I'm hoping to get this to a point where i can submit it.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Remix:(updated version)

Original:

Edited by PadreMulk
submitted

Hey, my favorite SF2 series theme! Interesting and creative take on it. The very beginning sounds like I'm listening to something on the Amiga. The buildup of the intro felt overly long into the melody at :53, but perhaps that's just a personal taste thing. Theme's verse came in at ;55; mixing felt muddy, but the track does have personality.

You could trim some time off of this by condensing or icing the original beat section from 1:18-1:45 and/or the comping-style section from 1:45-2:09. That little string of notes at 1:55-1:56 felt out of place, and I'd argue the comping-style stuff until 2:09 wasn't really melodious and didn't add much to the picture. That's not to say it's poor, it's just unfocused IMO and doesn't have enough substance to justify all of that time.

I liked the dynamic contrast of the chorus at 2:35; creative beat-writing behind it as well, and I liked the supporting writing gradually fading up along with more parts coming in to fill things out until the transition to the final section at 3:26. Enjoyed the chippy winddown section at 3:26.

There's a lot to like here. I thought the arrangement approach was unique and I like a lot of the sounds and production techniques. Good bassline; maybe others will think it's too heavy, but I thought it was fine. That said, it's definitely right in the vein of what we post, so I'd certainly consider submitting this to be posted onto OCR as a featured ReMix if you're interested. Hopefully you can get some more feedback, because I think there's a lot of potential here. Good stuff so far!

I dig the lead sound here; it's unusual, and it makes the whole mix more interesting.

I think my biggest issue is the timing - an intentional swing/unquantized thing going on, which can work really well w/ slower beats & downtempo/lo-fi stuff, but at faster tempos - for me at least - it starts sounding like unintentional lag/slowdown - 0'43 with the kicks, for example. I'd be most curious to hear this with different % swing, something more subtle. Could also dial it in more selectively, for breakdowns or verse vs. chorus.

40 minutes ago, djpretzel said:

I dig the lead sound here; it's unusual, and it makes the whole mix more interesting.

I think my biggest issue is the timing - an intentional swing/unquantized thing going on, which can work really well w/ slower beats & downtempo/lo-fi stuff, but at faster tempos - for me at least - it starts sounding like unintentional lag/slowdown - 0'43 with the kicks, for example. I'd be most curious to hear this with different % swing, something more subtle.

I had the swing cranked up to 75%:)!! , probs a bit much you're right, ive tried it lower it to 40% sounds more manageable, less stumbling in places.

27 minutes ago, Liontamer said:

Hey, my favorite SF2 series theme! Interesting and creative take on it. The very beginning sounds like I'm listening to something on the Amiga. The buildup of the intro felt overly long into the melody at :53, but perhaps that's just a personal taste thing. Theme's verse came in at ;55; mixing felt muddy, but the track does have personality.

You could trim some time off of this by condensing or icing the original beat section from 1:18-1:45 and/or the comping-style section from 1:45-2:09. That little string of notes at 1:55-1:56 felt out of place, and I'd argue the comping-style stuff until 2:09 wasn't really melodious and didn't add much to the picture. That's not to say it's poor, it's just unfocused IMO and doesn't have enough substance to justify all of that time.

I liked the dynamic contrast of the chorus at 2:35; creative beat-writing behind it as well, and I liked the supporting writing gradually fading up along with more parts coming in to fill things out until the transition to the final section at 3:26. Enjoyed the chippy winddown section at 3:26.

There's a lot to like here. I thought the arrangement approach was unique and I like a lot of the sounds and production techniques. Good bassline; maybe others will think it's too heavy, but I thought it was fine. That said, it's definitely right in the vein of what we post, so I'd certainly consider submitting this to be posted onto OCR as a featured ReMix if you're interested. Hopefully you can get some more feedback, because I think there's a lot of potential here. Good stuff so far!

With the intro i wanted to give enought time for the evolving pad sound and guitar to build.

The comp section i was hoping for something a touch gentler, TBh i'm not that experienced writing melodic content, so i tried to be conservative, the string of notes is getting toned down a bit for sure hahaha.

Thanks for the critique. Yeah, once ive got it to an acceptable state ill submit it. In the meantime, ill make some changes, and repost.Cheers.

Hey,

i'm a big fan of the street fight series and this is one of my favorites too.

It's sounds very interesting to me, something that i like (The bassline is very nice). I'm not sure if it has enough reverb, but that is my opinion.

I'm not sure about the timing like djpretzel wrote before, but generelly i think it's a nice track (it's something to that i would listen).

So good work :).

Edited by Zoda

MOD REVIEW

Hey there! So this is a really unique take on this tune with some really interesting sound choices. Taste wise, you might split the room a bit, but these are your choices and you should stick to them! It's a very unique sound. I enjoy the broken rhythms and the drums. 

My major nitpick is that sometimes I couldn't quite catch what the melody was supposed to be, particularly at 1:30 ish. There's the pumping pad in the back, and I think that needs to come back in the mix and have the melody ride more in the forefront. That happens again at about 2:10, where your wubbing bass kind of drowns out the interesting spooky lead you've got going on. 

Honestly, I think that's probably more of a personal taste kind of thing, and this could be ready for the judges without it. I'm marking it as complete; you can make the changes or tweaks, or submit it as is! Good luck 

/MOD REVIEW

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!