MnP 116: Undertale - Another Medium

HoboKa

Poll 1.5  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should HoboKa be Allowed to Participate in MnP as well?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2020 at 07:00 AM

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

MIDI: https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP116_51_-_Another_Medium.mid

"For my source, let's get close to a little indie game that stayed hidden.
Made by a little boy, Toby Fox, quite unknown in the game making scene...
That game is call Undertale, I'm not sure you know it but it's musics are good though."
-AxLR

Deadline: August 28th Fri @ 1PM

Vote Ends: September 1st Tues @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP116

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Going to relax this rule with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and possibly Crypt of the Necrodancer.  Update me upon further titles that have that 'Retro Fidelity'.  Thanks!
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. Small tempo changes are OK.  But not 140 to 80 etc. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

Poll 1 closes in 2 days. Edits Galore.  Edits for Boi's Dinner. 

I'm gonna set up a little Yes/No Poll over something else in this very thread/round.  I'll Run the new poll for roughly 2 weeks. And I won't be voting in it, because that might slant opinions... Eh, I'll keep it a private poll.  Can't make decisions Senpai. uWu

Edited by HoboKa

For my source, let's get close to a little indie game that stayed hidden.
That game is call Undertale, I'm not sure you know it but it's musics are good though."-AxLR

Stayed hidden? Dude...it's like the most popular game of all time lol. Whatcha talking about willis!?

I'm sure everyone knows Undertale by now haha.

Count me in anyways.

23 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

For my source, let's get close to a little indie game that stayed hidden.
That game is call Undertale, I'm not sure you know it but it's musics are good though."-AxLR

Stayed hidden? Dude...it's like the most popular game of all time lol. Whatcha talking about willis!?

I'm sure everyone knows Undertale by now haha.

Count me in anyways.

Oh, so someone doesn't grasp the Iron "E"...
Don't worry, you just got wooshed, you'll be fine :D

Props for being faster than me, that is a feat !

The Poll has concluded! 

Effective on MnP Round 117, I will be limiting source picks to the era of gaming (1984-2006).  But take heart!  PRC is still alive, so you can source-pick to your heart's content on modern VGM tunes.  If Bunda has to shutter PRC's doors in 2021, there will be more decision making and Polls to roll out.  But I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope PRC keeps on trucking as usual since 2003. 

Edited by HoboKa

Update to Guidelines.  Pardon the Edits.  Had to alter numbering. 

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1. 
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intention.  So keep this in mind if you are going to alter the the Genre and Tempo.  Please don't feel that you HAVE to make a Cover or pure Midi Rip.  
  3. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  4. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  5. When Voting please follow the Compo Code of Conduct.
Edited by HoboKa

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Update to Guidelines.  Pardon the Edits.  Had to alter numbering. 

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1. 
  3. Genre Swaps are fine.  So long as they follow Rule #5. 
  4. Slight Tempo Changes are OK.  So a 120BPM to 100BPM is OK.  But not a 120 to 80.  Etc.  See Rule #5
  5. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell. 
  6. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  7. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  8. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  9. Same rules for PRC voting Stage: don't vote for yourself, be considerate and try to give reasonable feedback as to why you liked X or Y entry. 
  10. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

To be honest I feel like rule 4 is a copy of rule 5. Rest looks great though...

On 8/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

To be honest I feel like rule 4 is a copy of rule 5. Rest looks great though...

It is and it isn't.  I'm unsure of how to coherently condense 3 4 and 5, so I'm gonna keep em this way.  I figure that a lot of people don't have the patience to read through all of that, hence the coloring.  It's me laxing a bit on the Tempo Rule, so it needs to be highlighted/pointed out. 

I'm trying to change the perception of, "Oh I have to play it TOO safe.  Why bother?"  That was probably the biggest deterrent, and I think it scared off a few people lol. 

Edited by HoboKa

16 hours ago, HoboKa said:

It is and it isn't.  I'm unsure of how to coherently condense 3 4 and 5, so I'm gonna keep em this way.  I figure that a lot of people don't have the patience to read through all of that, hence the coloring.  It's me laxing a bit on the Tempo Rule, so it needs to be highlighted/pointed out. 

I'm trying to change the perception of, "Oh I have to play it TOO safe.  Why bother?"  That was probably the biggest deterrent, and I think it scared off a few people lol. 

I mean really, it comes down to, don't modify the source too much, where it sounds completely separate from it's intention. Or something like that.

I suppose for now it works fine. 

2 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Oh....thanks lol.

Ok Updated it.  Information regarding Voting Regulations will be posted when it is time to Vote (even if there isn't enough entries to qualify a Vote).  Nothing about the Voting Rules are different, but I wanted to make the Front Page rules to be much more compact and easy on the eyes, like Tifa's big nvm. 

Edited by HoboKa

On 8/16/2020 at 10:55 PM, HoboKa said:

Ok Updated it.  Information regarding Voting Regulations will be posted when it is time to Vote (even if there isn't enough entries to qualify a Vote).  Nothing about the Voting Rules are different, but I wanted to make the Front Page rules to be much more compact and easy on the eyes, like Tifa's big nvm. 

It doesn't have to be a lot, just something to let the people know, how MnP works.

Looking forward to the changes.

Edited by TheVideoGamer