MnP 116: Undertale - Another Medium

HoboKa

Poll 1.5  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should HoboKa be Allowed to Participate in MnP as well?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2020 at 07:00 AM

EDIT...nvm...stupid musings.  Hyper-Caffeinated ones.  Lmao. 

Roughly 2.5 days to go till voting time.  Hope to get one more entrant this round.

If no one else sub's, I might relax the BONUS rule for AxLR so he can compete with us again, just for fun. 

Edited by HoboKa

22 hours ago, Silverpool64 said:

@HoboKa I think you set the deadline to AM instead of PM by mistake. ThaSause says 8 hours left until the deadline.

Wow, good call there, surprised I missed that.  OK.  Fixed, there isn't a need for extending now. 

Also...Shout-out to NickC for participating

OK.  So the comment that was here, hindsight 20/20 is probably better rescinded.  Sorry about that folks.  It's not even in my place to break rules regarding qualitative remarks before the Voting Stage.  So I apologize for that.  Just try and be fair in the voting process and don't feel you have to be inflexible on the 1:1 Conservative approach to Voting (is that the best way to word it??  IDFK /cries).  Perhaps I will draft/bounce off ideas on the Voting Values for MnP.  @TheVideoGamer usually has good ideas on that...hint hint...nudge?  Maybe another Poll is in order? 

Sorry folks.  Insomnia and weird times have caused me to unravel a tad.  I'm OK.  Just...more impulsive than usual.  Hope y'all can forgive me for that lol. 

Also, looks like I won't need need to relax the BONUS rule.  This is awesome. 

Edited by HoboKa

15 hours ago, Silverpool64 said:

Submitted an entry!

Much appreciated!  And I made a significant update to the last post.  Hope it didn't come off too weird.  Ah, what am I saying.  I am the embodiment of weird.  =p

In any case, there is a plethora of entries this round and it feels like 2014 MnP again.  Groovy.

Edited by HoboKa

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 4 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round!
  • AxLR has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, please don't be inflexible when considering the conservative approach.
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  

Vote ends September 2nd Wed @ 1 PM (1 day ext.)

Vote here https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP116

Edited by HoboKa

On 8/28/2020 at 3:07 AM, HoboKa said:

Much appreciated!  And I made a significant update to the last post.  Hope it didn't come off too weird.  Ah, what am I saying.  I am the embodiment of weird.  =p

In any case, there is a plethora of entries this round and it feels like 2014 MnP again.  Groovy.

I'm guessing the source pick helped. It's a great tune. 

9 hours ago, Dextastic said:

I'm guessing the source pick helped. It's a great tune. 

Yeah.  Maybe a stipulation is in order.  Like modern Indie's with a Retro Vibe rule.  To quote NickC (from ThaSauce Discord), "lol nah, it ([sic]Undertale) is an exception where it uses old school sounds, there's a lot of stuff now where trying to give a track a facelift isn't going to work at all."

Edited by HoboKa

14 hours ago, AxLR said:

Added my vote, I may sound a bit mean sometimes, but I promise you I'm not, I try to be as constructive and relevant as possible.
Nice round, and props to everyone that submitted an entry !

NVM previous response, it wasn't really relevant to your comment.

I always trust that you are constructive in your votes.  Plus, I know a bad comment when I see it...*cough Old OCR cough* 

Edited by HoboKa

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Yeah.  Maybe a stipulation is in order.  Like modern Indie's with a Retro Vibe rule.  To quote NickC (from ThaSauce Discord), "lol nah, it ([sic]Undertale) is an exception where it uses old school sounds, there's a lot of stuff now where trying to give a track a facelift isn't going to work at all."

To be fair, leitmotivs are the main reason, I do think. They are an easy go for remixes, and they scare remixers a lot less.
That's mainly why retro tunes are now one of the rules, because they heavily relay on leitmotivs to deliver, when more recent OST is more free due to less contraints.

10 hours ago, AxLR said:

To be fair, leitmotivs are the main reason, I do think. They are an easy go for remixes, and they scare remixers a lot less.
That's mainly why retro tunes are now one of the rules, because they heavily relay on leitmotivs to deliver, when more recent OST is more free due to less contraints.

Maybe so.  Personally, I don't mind ambient shit because I have the setup for it.  But not everyone does.  Also, another person here pointed out that it's hard to do a "tribute" to something that has super high fidelity production.  Maybe the leitmotiv deficiency played a part, but that was not quite the reason for my decision/vote/poll/pingas.  It's a pretty solid theory though. 

Sort of a Draft for Rule #1

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Exception with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and certain tunes from Crypt of the Necrodancer.  If there any other 'retro' modern games, let me know.
Edited by HoboKa

On 8/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, AxLR said:

So true....

That applies to a lot of modern film/audio visual music. They rely more on texture than melody. John Williams uses a lot of melody, Hans Zimmer uses more texture/sound design...

Edited by TheVideoGamer

1 hour ago, TheVideoGamer said:

So true....

That applies to a lot of modern film/audio visual music. They rely more on texture than melody. John Williams uses a lot of melody, Hans Zimmer uses more texture/sound design...

Hm, that's very true.  They do make a good contrast.  It's harder to remix a texture than a melody.  But...I'm comfortable where it is with MnP for now.  I relaxed the "age restriction" on retro-sounding Indie Sources.  So :mrgreen:

Edited by HoboKa

MnP Instructions/Guidelines [Updated]...Watcha guys think?? 

1. Source-Picks are limited to the era of gaming 1984-2006.  In other words, Nes/Sega Master to PS2/GC/XBox 1.  Going to relax this rule with certain Indie Titles like Shovel Knight, Undertale and possibly Crypt of the Necrodancer.  Update me upon further titles that have that 'Retro Fidelity'.  Thanks!
  2. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  3. Small tempo changes are OK.  But not 140 to 80 etc. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.

Results

• NickC got 1st with 16 points
  • HoboKa got 2nd with 14 points
  • TheVideoGamer got 3rd with 10 points
  • Silverpool64 got 4th with 9 points

NickC please PM me the source pick for round 117. 

Comments

Real awesome turnout, which convinced me to slacken the new rule in place, ever so slightly.  :D Gonna be interesting to see how MnP evolves.  Or de-evolves.  Thanks for the awesome turnout guys and for everyone voting too!