Composer : 
 Hiroshi Kawaguchi
System : Sega Megadrive  
Original :

Guest : last guita solo by Capt’n Shred

Best regards

jmabate

• 2 months later...

Great rendition of the title on guitar. Rhythm guitar is tight. Lead is emotive, and echo's the themes well. The transition at 1:54 was a bit abrupt. Things are pretty minimal here, but there are occasionally some guitar licks that accompany the main lead. The lead in this section are good. The transition at 2:53 felt smooth. The lead and rhythm in this section play off each-other well, with some nice soloing at play. The transition at 3:55 could've been smoother. The harder section at 4:23 was a nice change of pace for the arrangement, and mixed things up a bit. Things slow down at 5:00 and wind down to a close, only to start-up again soon after. That said, the solo in the final section did not disappoint, but it did make the progression of the arrangement a bit odd. Production is a little dark in this one, and could've done with being a bit brighter. Drums are audible but could've had more highs also. Overall not a bad mix here, this medley features some interesting additions and soloing which do a good job at modernising the originals. Well done.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/04/21 - (1Y) Sword of Vermilion "Tribute"
  • 1 month later...

love the initial guitar tone. the initial presentation of statts is great, and really pretty sparse but in a good way. like jive said, the transition at 1:54 was pretty awkward and abrupt, but the main body of that song's realization is pretty fun to listen. there's not a lot of arrangement going on there, but the performance is good, and it gets more complex as it goes along. around here i noticed that the drums are really feeling pretty dull - there's not a lot of highs, and the the primary patterns they're playing were pretty blah and repetitive (fills are great though).

another awkward transition into Dungeon at 3:55ish, but it's kind of a weird track so there's something expected there. this one's a heavier adaptation and i think it sounds particularly good. the tempo shift coming out of that was well handled, and the transition to the bit from statts and into the main theme was handled much better than the last two transitions. the final solo is straight fire as expected.

from a mastering perspective, the bass isn't super present except in a few places, and the drums overall are definitely secondary and not bright as i'd expect, but the guitars sound good throughout. the sfx are fun and not overused or dynamically awkward. i think that the mastering's fine overall, though i'd like to hear more highs from the drums and more body from the bass.

overall this is a fun track that goes through some great originals in fun ways. it's on the lesser side for arrangement, but that's ok, and the solos where they are have some great stuff to say. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/04/21 - (2Y) Sword of Vermilion "Tribute"
  • 4 months later...

I really disliked the abruptness of the theme transition at 1:53. Less so at 3:54, but the structure's got a medleyitis feel in places because there's not more effort put in to make the different themes stitch together like a unified idea. Other theme transitions were smoother though, so it's more of a mixed bag where the structure squeaks by.

Small thing, but the thunder SFX distorted at 5:08 & 6:31, so it doesn't sound good. Would love to hear a tweak to fix that.

Critiques aside, the musicianship was still solid with a straightforward rock arrangement. I felt the piece could have been more dynamic; the energy level's essentially in one gear with a similar level of textural density, but maybe I'm influenced by the tempo being slower and more deliberate, so I'm definitely willing to hear out other points of view.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/04/21 - (3Y) Sword of Vermilion "Tribute"
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick cosign here - the proggy guitar and organ tones are tasty, and lay a solid foundation for quite the sprawling arrangement. The tonal cohesion helps glue together an arrangement that is marked by some awkward transitions, so even though some of the individual links between sections are sloppy, the overall piece still feels cohesive enough! The changeup at 3:55 was a breath of fresh air before getting back into some heavier guitar chugs and eventually Capt'n Shred's badass guitar solo. 

Agree with Larry about the clipping on the thunder sfx, that sounds very unnatural, but that's my only hope in terms of fixes. Aside from that, this is ready for primetime!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04332 - *YES* Sword of Vermilion "Fight for Excalabria"
  • Rexy changed the title to 2020/04/21 - *YES - TAG* Sword of Vermilion "Fight for Excalabria"
  • Liontamer locked and pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic