OCR04351 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"

Rexy

• 3 months later...

track is at least -4db from 0 if not more.

the original is essentially Zanarkand with some slightly altered chords and some different instrumentation. i thought the name was 'movement in green', the name was confusing to me until i saw that it just had two ways to translate the name.

there's some sustained strings in the opening, and then a very open and light transcription of the Zanarkand melody. more comes in at 0:43, but the background until 1:04 is primarily sustains with (IMO non-idiomatic) pizz for the melodic content. at 1:04 we get a more traditional presentation of the melody, and the balance and orchestration is more reactive and vibrant. the bass pizz is still not very realistic in its usage, but there's some nice instrumentation choices aside from that. the glock (or tuned glass? can't really tell) is quite piercing in this context however and i found it to be offputting in some places. the paralleled lines between glock and harp though were clever and nicely framed.

at 2:32 the melody shifts to more pizz in the cellos and bass, and it sounds odd since it's so artificially prominent due to volumization. there's a nice recap of the later part of the original melody at 3:05ish, and then an outro.

overall i thought the arrangement itself was great. there's tons of variety in how the melodic content is approached, and while i really didn't like the loud pizz of the cello and bass being used to carry the melody, that was minor compared to the overall scoring. zanarkand's melody is just so rich and the track really allowed that to shine through. mastering sounded fine as well aside from it being very quiet - there's some specific instruments that stick out and could use a bit of trimming, like the glock, but that's it.

overall this is really solid. the arrangement is transformative, there's a lot of creativity in the approach, and the realization is capable. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/01/09 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"
  • 2 months later...

Bowed strings opening things up are super-exposed and too thin. Woodwind was also too thin. There are still obvious uncanny valley issues, particularly with the bowed strings, but unlike the FF3 piece of Rebecca's that I just voted on, this piece doesn't expose the samples quite as much. Arrangement's beautiful, interpretive, and personalized per the Tripp standard. Would love some more depth to the strings, woodwind, and vox, but what's here gets the job done. Wish it was a stronger YES on the production side, but it's there.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/01/09 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"
  • 2 months later...

It's... fine, I guess.  Really, these seem to be be basically plug-and-play for Rebecca at this point.  They're all solid, but they all have the same flaws (too quiet, imperfect realism) and they don't do anything she hasn't done dozens of times already.

I'm not excited about it, but I see no reason not to give it a

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/01/09 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"
  • 4 months later...
  • Emunator changed the title to 2021/01/09 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04351 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 "Sprouting Omens"
  • Emunator locked this topic