*NO* Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep "Dismiss (Chinese Mix)"

Emunator

Remixer Name: LemonheadVGM

User ID: 36968
Game Arranged: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.
Name of Arrangement: Dismiss (Chinese Remix)
Name of track arranged: Dismiss.
Information about the mix: I went through a case of buying a bunch of different sample libraries that I got discounted, many of those being Chinese instruments. However, I found myself not really having a purpose for them. That made me think "When am I ever gonna use these?" At the time, I had just beaten the Terra-Xehanort fight in BBS on critical mode to unlock the secret ending, so the battle track was still in mind. That's when I decided that I'd make a remix of Dismiss with traditional Chinese instruments, which would allow me to both be very creative with a track that doesn't have many remixes and justify my excessive purchases.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/06/14 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep "Dismiss (Chinese Mix)"
  • 1 month later...

Interesting idea, and good use of the Chinese instruments in an appropriate way.

However, as near as I can tell, this is basically a straight instrument swap, almost 1:1 for the instruments used in the original.  I catch a couple of other changes, like the runs on the Chinese zither, but not much.

Production is dry as a bone.  There's no reverb that I can hear, so this sounds like it was recorded in an empty field.  The sequencing is pretty mechanical, too; timing sounds snapped to the meter, and articulation sounds all the same to me.

I appreciated this for what it was, but I don't think it's what we're looking for in terms of production, and probably not in terms of interpretation either.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/06/14 - (1N) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep "Dismiss (Chinese Mix)"
  • 1 month later...

nearly 3dba headroom, if not a lot more outside of a few spikes.

well, i like your new instrument libraries! unfortunately, i'm with MW on this one - i didn't hear a lot of new or personalized content at all. there's a lot of machine gun articulations, and the lack of reverb and room management is really glaring and makes the articulations even more egregious.

i like the concept of the instrumentation, but this is a concept demo at this point. there's a lot more mastering and arrangement woodshedding needed here.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/06/14 - (2N) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep "Dismiss (Chinese Mix)"
  • 2 months later...

The two guys nailed it, this sounds like a midi with the instruments changed to your Chinese libraries.  These instruments sound great!  Although they need some finesse to sound natural, some humanization and reverb, and in this case I think some fleshing out with other timbres would make it sound fuller and nicer (like a nice full bass instrument, and some taiko or other drumming).  There isn't much arrangement here other than the original writing with very little interpretation, and the whole thing barely clears our "two minute minimum" standard.  This definitely sounds like a concept demo more than a finished track; the insufficient mastering and premature ending cutoff don't help change that perception.  I'd love to hear this again fully fleshed out with a longer arrangement if you're interested in revisiting it!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep "Dismiss (Chinese Mix)"
  • Emunator locked this topic