*NO* Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage "Heated Battle"

Chimpazilla

If this passes, it will need an original title.  Remixer sent two tracks in one email.  I'm not sure which one he intended to name "Heavier Carnage" so I'm leaving both titles as the source song names.

Hello,
I would like to send two cover songs from Spider-man's Maximum Carnage for your evaluation.
Thank you very much
--

ReMixer name: Rekkinom
email address: 
userid number: 37928

Name of game(s) arranged: Spider-man & Venom - Maximum Carnage

Name of arrangement: Heavier Carnage

Name of individual song(s) arranged: (Story Interlude - separate thread), Heated Battle

Additional information about the game: SNES, composers: Alistair Brimble and Chris Jojo

Comments: I loved this soundtrack since the first time I played the game in the 90's. In 2009 I uploaded a video to youtube playing 4 songs from the soundtrack and it had good acceptance from the gaming community at the time. On December 2021 I decided to record a brand new version of the soundtrack, and selected these two songs to send you for evaluation.
Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/01/02 - Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage "Heated Battle"
  • 1 month later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/01/02 - (1N) Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage "Heated Battle"
  • 1 month later...

Well first off, this sounds great. Bass is a tad boomy, but compared to the source it's actually stylistically similar. Drumkit packs some punch, but it's possible the compression is acting on it a little too much. You can hear it in the hats particularly during the B sections. No major crits on the production side though. It's drums, 2 guitars and a bass and you can hear all parts clearly enough. Love the fast soloing/scale runs that are present in the source and remix at 0:20.

Arrangement is essentially a cover for the first 2 minutes, with an ABAB structure, but then it's all original and actually a really nice rhythm section break, before it ends with some chunky chords and a satisfying drum fill.

I feel like there's definitely a place on OCR for this with some arrangement tweaks. I'd like to see the break section in the middle, then maybe some more original material (solo?) over the top of the final run-through of the AB section, to make it less of an obvious cover and stamp your own mark on it. At the moment it sounds more like one idea tacked on to the end of the other, rather than one cohesive piece.

NO (resubmit)

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/01/02 - (2N) Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage "Heated Battle"
  • 4 weeks later...

the initial presentation is great - this sounds straight off a post-grunge album, right down to the cleaner hats, wall of sound guitars with bass mirroring the melodic material, and low-mid-heavy EQing. the drums are super compressed but it's def a stylistic sound. you'll want to probably put your overhead cymbals on a different bus to avoid them compressing each other too much when you get more complicated with them. lastly, it's tough to hear the rhythmic aspects of the bass guitar, but it seems like they're there - adding some high end to the bass's tone so the picking is clearer would help, as would adding some space in what it's playing like what the guitar's doing.

from an arrangement perspective, the first few minutes are pretty straightforward. i would have wanted to see some of the stuff that happens after two minutes used earlier to mix it up, and then have a recap. it's a fun track though! i like the original material you created, i just think it needs to be more cohesive in its usage.

this is fun, but it isn't there yet.

NO