*NO* Super Metroid "Event Horizon"

Emunator

I hope this email finds you well. I compose trailer music as a side-passion (www.volitionmusic.com), but recently decided to take a little breather from trailer music to write a hybrid orchestral cover for the Super Metroid Prologue theme. I have attached a preliminary mix. Please let me know what you think. I am open to constructive comments and critiques. If the track is accepted, I can send you the final mix. 

ReMixer name: Aidin Ashoori
Email address: 
User ID: 37822

Name of game: Super Metroid
Title of arrangement: 'Event Horizon'
Title of original track: 'Theme of Super Metroid' (aka 'Theme of Samus')
Original composer: Kenji Yamamoto
Link to the original track: https://youtu.be/5vYsVk23oxA

My comments: Drawing on my experience as a trailer music composer, I have created a hybrid orchestral reimagining of the 'Theme of Super Metroid'. In this cover, I managed to introduce some bolder and more heroic elements to the arrangement, while still maintaining the dark and atmospheric feel of the original.

Best regards,
Aidin

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

First of all, let me clarify our policy: We don't generally review works in progress.  That's what the Post Your Game ReMixes forum is for.  We have workshop moderators there who can review works prior to their being submitted to us for final consideration.  And make no mistake, this is definitely a work in progress.  It fades out just after the 2 minute mark without really reaching any type of conclusion.

More importantly, this is a cover.  It's an epic cinematic reinstrumentation of the original source material, which is already done in as close to that style as the SNES could achieve.  It's arranged quite well, for what it is, but this isn't what we look for.  A ReMix for our site has to be transformative in some respect, not just a sound upgrade or modernization.

Production-wise, this is pretty good.  The instruments are reasonably well-realized.  However, the drums are overpowering: they're very loud and dominate the soundscape every time they hit.  They also cause audible clipping, with both distortion and pumping.

I strongly recommend taking this over to the WIP forums if you choose to pursue this further, or to take your next arrangement.  They'll be able to give you more personalized, and more importantly, more timely feedback.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/11/07 - (1N) Super Metroid "Event Horizon"
  • 1 month later...

Hey, thanks for the submission! A trailer music composer sounds like a cool job. I can hear the cinematic influence is there in abundance, although it's definitely more of a trailer than a full film at the moment. A minute of material, which is a cover version of the source tune, repeated and fading out is not what we look for on the judges' panel.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great start, and I would definitely encourage you to pursue this track to submit to us again once it's finished, but it needs a lot more work. Try and work in some original material, and tell a cohesive story from beginning to end using the arrangement.

Production sounds good, although it's heavy in the low-end so watch out for that.

Hope to hear this one back again once it's finished!

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to 2021/11/07 - (2N) Super Metroid "Event Horizon"

This is definitely a straight cover, two playthroughs of the theme and a fadeout, which is not what we look for.  But it sounds very good!  The production is good although as my fellow Js have pointed out, the mix is loud and low-end heavy.  The master compressor is working too hard, causing some unwanted sizzle and a high RMS value (-8.9db RMS is quite loud for an orchestral track, and at that volume it sounds overcompressed).  If you wanted to stretch this out into a full, real arrangement, including some unique, interpreted sections, perhaps some original writing somewhere as well, with the mastering tamed somewhat, we would love to hear it!

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2021/11/07 - (3N) Super Metroid "Event Horizon"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Metroid "Event Horizon"