OCR04378 - Final Fantasy IV "Rainbow Forms"

Liontamer

While I'm not really an expert by any means in the field of music, I still love the stuff I find here on OCRemix!

This song was an interesting listen... it was very... entrancing?
I found myself wanting to continue listening, enjoying the almost-nostalgia feeling the choice of digital instruments provided like a warm blanket and some hot cocoa.

I can't say I've ever felt that from an OCR mix before, but thank you for that.

Gotta say I love the way the source has been treated here. The first part reminds me how beautiful just the melody is. The second part is quite clever in using just parts of the arpeggio run. And then we get the full beautiful arpeggio. The glitchy, choppy approach is also really fun! FF4 was a really really impactful game for me when I was a kid, and I get the nostalgia recognition goosebumps here too.

The idea of the noise gate activating a verb send I got from reading about the recording of Nirvana's "Scentless Apprentice".

When recording the vocals to the song, Steve Albini (the engineer) put a noise gate in front of a chorus & distortion combo effect, so when Kurt Cobain's voice hit a certain loudness, the effect would kick in. That's why the screaming in the chorus sounds blown-out but the rest of the vocal take (which is quieter) doesn't. 

I also think this was used on Mark Hollis' self-titled album, except instead of distortion, the vocal chain noise gate was in front of the reverb. If you listen to that record, the verb kicks in only when the singing reaches a certain level. I actually haven't confirmed this but the verb swells sound too smooth to be a manual punch-in to my ears.

Edited by Mr. Hu

• 1 year later...