OCR04531 - *YES* RuneScape "Experienite Tinderbox"

Emunator

> OCR Artist Name - jdamashii!!

**NOTE - for convenience I've sent this in previous emails but just as a reminder everything I send to OCR is strictly under the "jdamashii!!" handle. Officially retired W!SE/Sir J/Agent 47/Great Value Winter Soldier/XxTha Reallest UchihaxX/ etc.
And even though this was made through my "Tempus Tonic Philharmonic" project I'm still submitting it to OCR as "jdamashii!!"

> Remix du jour - RUNESCAPE / OLD SCHOOL RUNESCAPE

Original Source(s) by
Sam Jones (Mod Sam J)
Ian Taylor (Mod Ian)
James Hannigan

Born to Do This
https://runescape.wiki/w/Born_to_Do_This
Scape Main
https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Scape_Main
Scape Original
https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Scape_Original
Scape Bold
https://runescape.wiki/w/Scape_Bold

> OCR-ified title - Experienite Tinderbox

Hello. Gonna keep this as brief and as non sappy as possible.

First and most important, thank you again for those who reached out about clearing my head. Way better and I understand the sentiment of life as a gift. Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn't mean they're lost forever.

On topic, I'm hoping that by the time this gets to the Judges queue there are a few Runescape tracks already... because seriously, with how long OCR's been kicking ass and taking vgm ReMix names, y'all STILL sleeping on the dopeness of Runescape's music library?
Muhfuckas got Cheetahmen and Rollercoaster Tycoon but no Gielinor grooves, cmon son.

Haha so yeah, I've always wanted to submit some RS tracks since obviously with Sonic it's one of my top 10 favorite games period. And obviously I wouldn't be down bad for RS if I didn't spend years operating under the handle of a literal face value reference to one of my favorite characters Wahisietel. So hopefully this arrangement doesn't just stroke my own ego but also serves as a solid love letter to the RS community, new and old, by capturing that feeling of successfully catching your first lobster or creating your own full mithril gear from scratch!

Making music feels like high 90s for me while trying to socialize and connect with people has me still at level 3 with a daunting size of locked quest requirements. So thanks a LOT for the patience with me awkwardly figuring out how to navigate the right path for me. I've never stopped loving music (both hearing new exciting sounds from others as well as contributing my own music), so hopefully this is the first of many with returning back to my roots of songs where you can listen and instantly know "yeeeah.... this guy's definitely having fun. He enjoys this."

Peace
-J

• 4 weeks later...

this has a really chill intro with some fun fretless bass and percussion. the piano and synth echo the Born To Do This opening pretty clearly, and the taiko and chimes are regularly used in both Scape and BTDT. the lead at 0:47 carries the melodic content from BTDT clearly, and the guitar at 1:19 sounds great taking the lead. this continues to build layers towards 2:00 - i love the squiggly synth work in there.

2:25 has a tempo change and some fun sfx and the intro of Scape's melodic content. there's a lot going on here - several unique side-by-side leads with lots of attention paid to automation, releases, and some fills. this is just so fun in here - i love the energy, it's got a real Styx vibe. there's a natural break around 3:35 for a bit, and some more ensemble call and response through around 4:17 into a solo section. i appreciate the ongoing ensemble work through the solo, keeping it fresh - it'd have been easy to just check out and comp the chords, and i love that that's not what you did here.

ensemble's back in at 5:13 with a huge recap of the BTDT theme with big walls of sound. super exciting fanfare, and then it drops off to just what sounds like a dulcimer and trumpet. there's an ensemble blow to cap it off and a great strong ending, complete with fireworks.

what a track. there's a ton of melodic content throughout and it's dressed for the party the entire time - never a dull moment. the mastering is great, especially considering how many different things are going on simultaneously. i love your synth choices throughout, and the attention paid to them. get this on the site!

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/04/08 - (1Y) Runescape "Experienite Tinderbox"

I'm not as stoked about this as proph.  To me, the synth selection is a little bit outdated.  The soundscape, while full, is high-heavy for me; the lead guitar in particular is very bright, and I'd love some more presence in the mids and mid-lows.

Still, I don't think there's any question about whether this is passable.  The guitar performance is exceptional, and the seamless arrangement of the four sources is superb.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/04/08 - (2Y) Runescape "Experienite Tinderbox"
  • 4 weeks later...

I just reviewed your other 4-source Runescape submission "We're All Ali Down Here", and this is another long, epic labour of love that you've clearly enjoyed putting together. Tons of detail, tons of instruments, and again a pretty hot mastering job. Audacity tells me there's a lot of clipping in the second half of the arrangement, but I couldn't hear any audible artifacts so I guess you got away with it this time. Careful on that in future though! The mixing sounds great, no need to push the master too hard.

Great synth work at 2:57, with some squeaky tremolo and pitchbend working well with some interplay between the leads. There's a section following that from 3:56 that's becoming a bit of a signature of yours, I think! Something about that groove pattern is very you.

Highlight is definitely that guitar solo at 4:21, before a bombastic finish. There's even a bonus ending with actual fireworks to finish. I can tell you didn't want to finish this one without giving it a proper send-off, and there it is.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/04/08 - (3Y) Runescape "Experienite Tinderbox"

:01-:38.5, :46.5-2:17, 2:37.25-2:47, 2:50.5-3:32.5, 3:42-3:55, 5:10-5:35, 5:36.75-5:57, 6:02.25-6:15 = 237.75 seconds

Just sanity checking the source usage for myself so that I can be clear I understood it; this wasn't anywhere near being a borderline call there.

Volume's definitely way up there, but it's mixed cleanly, so I'll have to get over it. :-D

Lead guitar's 1:27's seemingly off-key; not sure what happened there, but super minor; anyone with theory knowledge can say whether there's a half-truth there, it just seemed like that one note could have been a little higher to match with the chords behind it.

Loved this one, another J magnum opus, which feels like everything he makes; no matter the style, he makes the presentation unique. Epic as you'd expect, dayum! Enjoy the ride! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/04/08 - *YES* RuneScape "Experienite Tinderbox"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04531 - *YES* RuneScape "Experienite Tinderbox"
  • Liontamer locked this topic