*NO* Muppet Racemania "Free Ride" *RESUB*

Emunator

Original Decision

Hi OCR,    

Here is a new version of my arrangement.  

The main upgrade: 

• Last part rearranged (variations with the main synth)  
  • Secondary instruments reduced to reinforce melody 

• 2nd bass sytnh lightened, notably at part 6 (cf. break down) 

• Melody doubled in octave at some parts to give more deepness 

•  Snare replaced by a clap that works better IMO, and correction on volume 

Thanks to Jorito who has given me some feedbacks to polish my track. It was really helpful for me!

Enjoy :)  

Originals 

Funfair 

• 0'00 intro - Melodic Line 0 
  • 0'04 ML1 
  • 0'18 ML2 
  • 0'33 ML3 
  • 0'48 ML4 
  • 1'01 ML1 
  • 1'40 ML1 + ML4 

Gallery 

• 0'00 ML5 
  • 0'25 ML6 
  • 0'48 ML7 
  • 1'10 variations 

Breakdown   

1. 0'00 Intro 
  2. 0'25 Melodic line 0 
  3. 0'30 ML1 
  4. 0'44 ML2 + synth impro 
  5. 0'59 ML3 
  6. 1'16 ML5 (+ ML6 in background) 
  7. 1'30 ML5 + ML6  
  8. 1'45 ML0
  9. 1'51 ML2 + ML4
  10. 2'06 ML3 + ML7
  11. 2'22 ML1 + ML2 + ML4
  12. 2'37 ML6 + variations
  13. 3’03 ML0

i voted on this last time. looks like my main critiques were around the middle section. other judges complained also about mastering and the choice of a fadeout ending.

the opening of this track is such a fun toe-tapping feel, and the melody at 0:30 is real fun. at roughly 1:02 we get to the area MW where originally complained about the bass response, and that sounds cleaner if not fully fixed (still some mess in there from verb sustains, i think). 1:19 still has straight-up wrong notes - it sounds like a Cm chord is being played, and there's a stuttered string harmony in the background playing an A natural (among other very strange non-chord tones). that synth riff consistently interferes with the stuff from Gallery and it doesn't sound quirky, it just sounds wrong, even with the chromaticism that's throughout that section.

there is syncopation in the brass in the background at 2:14 that is audibly confusing and took me a few listens to identify why it sounded like the song hitched there. you may want to consider removing the syncopation or having the percussion play there so it doesn't sound like the track skipped.

the snare still isn't very audible. the mix sounds very dense in the lower mids especially around 1:30 - in fact, just looking at that area, there's both a weird rise in sub-20hz content there as well as a huge amount of density in the 100-200hz range. taking your countermelody synth (that's playing the 16th-note runs) and putting it up an octave might actually allay a lot of that, as would reducing some of the amount of verb on backing instruments, especially the bass synth.

image.png.17120fd3ba05567968437161e6eb85fb.png

the ending is a lot better than the fadeout though and i like that it's a set ending.

i don't think this is there yet. there's a bunch of changes which i appreciate a lot! the middle section for me just doesn't sound good yet - the A next to that Cm chord is grating, and it happens a bunch. it's also super dense for most of 1:19 through 1:45 and needs room to breathe.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/11/11 - (1N) Muppet Racemania "Free Ride"
  • 2 weeks later...

There's something about the mixing this time that just doesn't sound right.  The whole thing sounds muffled.  Most of the instruments sound like formants have been filtered out, making them all thin and flat-sounding.  The cymbals, which last time I called out for having all the highs filtered out, now consist of nothing but highs.  As a result, some instruments pop better, but some are even more buried.

I still like this arrangement, but all the life has been crushed out of every instrument.  Please give this another mixing pass.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/11/11 - (2N) Muppet Racemania "Free Ride"
  • 3 weeks later...

Once again, fantastic sources, and great arrangement, but I'm afraid a lot of my suggestions from last time have gone unanswered with this resubmission.

Instantly I noticed that the kick has reverb on it (either as a plugin on the track itself, or baked in to the sample), so it's got too much presence in the low end. Combining this with the on-beat bass and lack of sidechain means that your groove really suffers, and it feels much less bouncy than it should. Try shifting the on-beat bass notes to the off-beat, and adding a 4/4 sidechain on all elements other than your kick (if you don't know how to do this, look up a tutorial for your DAW - it's easy and it'll make your track sound instantly better!). You can drop out the sidechain for the break sections as well, which will give them a better contrast. If you need to move the kick to a separate track to remove/refine the reverb, then do it. That's how I used to do most of my tracks.

A note again on the snare - it's been changed to a clap sound now, but the shaker and hi-hats still have higher volume, so it's more like auxiliary percussion than an actual EDM snare. Still needs punch.

I dig the new ending! Much better than a fadeout, I hope you agree.

A tight kick, punchy snare, sidechain, and some off-beat bass notes will get this track where it needs to go, I guarantee it! Love the source, love the arrangement, but it needs the production levels to match.

NO (resubmit!)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Muppet Racemania "Free Ride" *RESUB*
  • DarkSim locked this topic
  • Emunator unpinned this topic