*NO* Postknight 2 "Opposing Fates"

Emunator

Contact Information

ReMixer name : Neverback-Music (19797), Latomarques (38178)

Email address : 
Userid : 19797, 38178

Submission Information

Name of game arranged : Postknight 2
Name of arrangement : Opposing Fates

Name of individual songs arranged :

I have recently discovered the game “Postknight 2” on mobile, and the battle boss theme keep my attention.

I decided to do an arrangement of the song in a symphonic way. (I’m used to make more cinematic music)

So with the help of Latomarques who is a brass players (Trombone, horns) we write that symphonic arrangement of the music.

We keep only orchestral instrument by avoiding any synth or sound close to a cinematic ambiance.

Basically with is orchestral player experience he write the introduction and the outro, that I have modified a little bit and he had corrected my modification as well to arrive to that final result.

We discussed a lot regarding the notes ranges and the colors of the sound for approximately each for measures, until the end of the song.

But for me, an arrangement is also an opportunity to try to make your own original part into the spirit of the song and to try to give more than the know melody.

That part was this time more played with brass instrument, so the experience of Latomarques was an huge help to make it sounds good. (Not a real orchestra but we try to be closer as possible)

Don’t hesitate to comment and give us your constructive feedback for maybe our next submission.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

roughly 3db headroom, feels like more than that.

big flourish to start. some interesting dissonances there. i can't tell if it's intentional or not but it's certainly gripping. the instruments here don't sound 100% great, too brassy and overblown.

the initial driving feel is very similar to the original. original had some snare, brass doing the stabs, and some pizz strings alongside the melody. this has more snare, strings doing the stabs, and a lot more countermelodic movement. both do have similar instruments carrying the melody, but this has a ton more going on alongside that - the melody actually gets lost in a few places, i think. the bass parts (sounds like string bass pizz?) sound very non-idiomatic and behind the beat. the B section is also similarly done - same lead instrument, similar backing stabs, and this uses what sounds like orchestral pizz instead of the bongos.

at 1:24 we get a new section based on the chords from the A section - lots of sustains and rising action. avoid the temptation to have every instrument always playing in here - there's a lot of doubled parts that i don't think need to be there. this section however is neat, but then it goes back to the A section's melody in the clarinet again (layered with choir) and the same countermelodic material as before (although some are in a lower octave). this is actually almost exactly the same as the first time through the A section.

2:28 features a B section that's orchestrated significantly differently, which is nice. after that, there's a bit orchestral crescendo to what's essentially an outro at 2:55 - a big sustained trill in the winds into the last part of the melody to finish it off.

i don't know if the other judges will agree with me, but...i don't think there's enough arrangement here. we have tons of examples of remixes in similar styles as the original, so it's not just that both the original and remix are in an orchestral style. my issue is you've got the pretty much the same chords, with the same lead instrument playing the exact same melodic material with no differences, and a similar backing instrumentation AND similar percussion playing almost the same thing as the original backing instrument for the majority of the song. there is indeed additional countermelodic material added, but it's copypasted later in the song as well, and most of it mirrors what's in the original in different octaves. there is one major section outside of the ending that doesn't immediately map to the original, and that's the big sustain section from 1:24 to 1:52.

i think the overall sound is good, although the brass often get too overblown. sounds like a limitation of the sample pack you're using - i'd consider turning the velocity on every single instrument down by ~25% so that it's not all the super-bright overblown sound in the brass. beyond that, i think trimming down some of the part doubling will help with where it's just layers of sound that aren't needed.

this isn't it for me. i don't hear transformative arrangement. the parts that stand out to me are the ending, 2:28, and 1:24 - where you really go above and beyond to make something unique from the original. even just choosing a different lead instrument for the A and B sections so it's not mirrored directly from the original would make a big difference. right now i feel it's just too close to the original.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/04/22 - (1N) Postknight 2 "Opposing Fates"
  • 3 weeks later...

Right off the bat, this is far too quiet.  It can't be more than Conditional based on that alone.

I actually think the sample quality, brass included, is well over the bar, although the vocals get a bit uncanny in the high range.  And while the arrangement is certainly conservative, I think the added harmony lines, trills, subtractive sections, and (sometimes) changes to leads, as well as the extra energy added by changing the percussion parts do enough to qualify this on transformational grounds.

I do think balance is way off, though.  When the lead is a woodwind, it's often drowned out by the other instruments, sometimes to the point of being completely inaudible.  It's fine when it's brass.

So while I don't agree with proph on any given point, I still agree this needs work, specifically in the mastery department.  Volumes need to be tweaked across the board, both for individual instruments and the master.  Fix that and you'll have my vote, at least.

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/04/22 - (2N) Postknight 2 "Opposing Fates"

Cool source tune, and I like the direction you've gone with the remix to make it more cinematic. I've no problem with the samples or instrumentation, but I am struggling to hear them without turning my volume way up. There could be an issue with the reverb here, that it's washing out the overall sound and reducing the clarity too much. Listening to the source after the remix, there's a massive difference in clarity of sound - the original sounds so much clearer.

The extra additions of brass, choir, and more countermelodic content in your remix need to really shine in order to make it distinctly different from the original. By improving the mixing and mastering on those additions, you'll also address the other concern that it's too conservative an arrangement. Highlight the differences and the original touches.

This is very close to a pass from me, but the production needs to be cleaner.

Finally, and this might just be a personal taste thing, but I think it would sound better if you removed the shaker from 2:27-2:41. Let the piano have its moment :)

Gonna close this one out, but I do hope to hear it again soon!

NO (resubmit)

• DarkSim changed the title to *NO* Postknight 2 "Opposing Fates"