*NO* Mega Man X4 "Dial Up Dystopia"

Emunator

Hello,
I would like to say thank you for an opportunity to submit an arranged project. This is my first time throwing my name in the hat for OC ReMix. I've been a listener and a fan for a very long time, and I am hopeful that I can be part of the large community you folks have.
I'm certain I have met the guidelines and the standards. If I have failed in that sense, then I apologize for wasting your time. With that said, I appreciate the time and energy in viewing my arranged track.

Contact Information

ReMixer Name: Andy Amo
Email Address: 

Submission Information
Name Of Game Arranged: Mega Man X4
Name Of Arrangement: Dial Up Dystopia
Name Of Individual Song Arranged: Cyber Peacock Stage

Edited by prophetik music

• 2 months later...

Opened with Gregorian chant, okay, you got my attention.

...And then it's immediately almost a cover of the original, with extremely similar synths and the reverb turned up to 11.  Wow, the reverb is just annihilating everything; add the thick pads and you can hardly hear anything else.  It's just a wall of noise.  And it's loud; I had to turn my volume down 25% because it was hurting my ears.

It does introduce a few smidgens of original content periodically, and at the 2 minute mark there's an original bridge (with some shrill pads that hurt my ears even with the volume turned down).  But mostly it's a very conservative approach overall.

So I'm afraid this is problematic on two fronts.  One, the structure and instrumentation remain similar to the source material.  Two, the production needs some improvement: reverb needs to be tuned down to make the palette less muddy, instruments need to be rebalanced to make all instruments audible and the lead stand out in front, and the piercing pad needs to be turned down a few notches.

Don't ever think of submitting as "wasting our time," though.  We're here to judge, yes, but also to provide constructive feedback.  We volunteer to do this work because we love it and we believe in OCR's mission.  As long as people are submitting what they believe to be their best work in good faith, we never mind taking the time to listen.  We share in your appreciation of the medium and your joy at what VGM means to you.  Never stop creating.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/07/08 - (1N) Mega Man X4 "Dial Up Dystopia"

Haha, cool chant opening; now that's a cool interpretive approach. But yeah, MindWanderer's got this right, it's basically a close cover from :24 afterwards, where the instrumentation is fairly close to the original music, so this doesn't stand apart from it enough in terms of the level of interpretation. The effects do wash it out, I agree there, then at 2:15, the levels get way too loud and things only get more crowded until 2:50.

Finally pulled back in the density at 2:50 with a throwaway sample of dial-up internet noises; not sure it thematically fits here, since there's no other sounds or imagery making me think of the whole "cyber" aspect of this maverick, but it is what it is. Too loud again at 3:13, worth noting.

As long as you have more of an intentional direction of interpreting the source tune, Andre, it'll have more of a shot of making it here on OCR. It's certainly not a waste of time to submit; it's a great source tune choice, and a fun effort in attempting to beef up the sound. IMO, it doesn't need to be this bright, so just watch your levels and make sure your textures aren't too muddy. Please keep at it and keep making music!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/07/08 - (2N) Mega Man X4 "Dial Up Dystopia"

i love this original. one of the first MMX tracks i ever arranged.

interesting opening idea. after that it's a cover for minutes (plural). it's not even different synths, and it's mastered worse with the heavy verb exacerbating volumization issues and a heavy focus on the pads in the background over the stuff in front.

the other Js say what's needed to be said beyond here. i'll note that, once you add some more personalization and arrangement to this that isn't just realizing the original song, i'd suggest spending time in the workshop getting feedback. hearing others opinions on your work can only long-term benefit you - even if those opinions are bad or flat-out wrong, it helps train your inner ear for how others hear your music. i'd highly encourage you to put this in the workshop and get some other perspectives on it once you've addressed some of the things mentioned above.

edit: as a note, i was rejected thirteen times before getting a track through the panel (my mixes before that were direct posts). most of this was because i didn't care what others thought about my music and figured i was the best perspective on it. it's...not a great way to make music! 😃

NO

Edited by prophetik music

• prophetik music changed the title to *NO* Mega Man X4 "Dial Up Dystopia"