*NO* Super Mario Bros. "Level One of Fun" *PRIORITY*

Emunator

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/02/13 - (1N) Super Mario Bros. "Level One of Fun"

Thanks a lot for answering the Mario callout, Robert! Nothing but smiles whenever I listen to the original song. I'm flashing back to being 6 and playing this. :-)

Short runtime, so I hope this does what it needs to do. Theme arrives at :18. Texturally, I'm wanting something more to happen, but what's here is cool. The melodic arrangement is pretty straightforward, but IMO the instrumental expansion still gets it done. Very, very intriguing percussion from :40-:50; it was short, so I would have loved to have heard more in that vein. 1:19 switched over into some original writing that had a good Mario 2-esque vibe, but I was waiting for something else to tie back to the source tune and never got it.

I hate to be a stickler, but in terms of using the source tune theme throughout the arrangement, this does it for less than half of the track, so the VGM arrangement isn't dominant in the track (per our Submissions Standards).

4. Arrangement

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.
  • While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.
  • The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

What's here is 60 seconds of Mario theme in a 136-second long arrangement, so 44.11% of the piece references VGM (and nearly 56% doesn't). If you can add in some more references to the Overworld theme (or other themes) during some of those wholly original sections, this would be good to go, IMO. The arrangement ideas, musicianship, and production are definitely on point, and your programmed drum writing has improved over the years (literally just listened to your Zelda 3 Fairy Fountain mix).

We'll see how the others feel, but if this doesn't make it as is, I hope you'd consider a revised version in a way that wouldn't compromise your vision yet still have the majority of the track be arranging the VGM (even with just 8-9 seconds more, if it came to that). Your Fossil Falls collab with AVGN was fun, and even if it's a not a Mario sub, the Great Fairy's Fountain mix is strong as well. You definitely have a place here as well, even if it's not this specific sub.

NO (resubmit)

I didn't timestamp this, but considering its length, it doesn't surprise me that it falls short.  Even without that, because of the way it ends kind of abruptly just after the 2 minute mark, it doesn't feel like a complete remix, more like a proof of concept.

The performance, composition, and production all sound great.  I love the guitar over a cinematic soundscape; it's a rich and unique sound.  If there was another minute of VGM added in at the end, going into a complete ending, this would be a shoe-in.  As it is, I have to agree with Larry's

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/02/13 - (2N) Super Mario Bros. "Level One of Fun"

very short track. neat intro, though, i like the synth arpeggio especially.

guitar is played nice. there's not a lot of arrangement when it comes in initially, as it's just playing through the theme, but there's some fun stuff earlier that was clearly influenced by the original. the solo is great but doesn't really reference the original at all, and it goes into a comp section at the end that just kind of ends (i honestly though the JENOVA arpeggio at the end was going to a new part and was surprised when it ended). there's not a preponderance of source here, unfortunately, so it doesn't meet our submission standards for what a remix should consist of.

there is a hard limiter on this that sounds kind of weird, a lo-fi crunchiness. other than that, i think it is pretty great to listen to.

unfortunately the arrangement doesn't meet our criteria of being >50% source (arranged or otherwise). too bad! i'd love to hear this extended with more source in it, especially if it was arranged with some alternate chords, time signatures, or other concepts.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario Bros. "Level One of Fun" *PRIORITY*
  • prophetik music locked this topic