Your email address: 

Your website: pixelpirates.nu
Your userid: 37469

Name of game(s) arranged: Battlefield 1942
Name of arrangement: Pixelfield
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Main Theme

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I'm noticing a trend with Pixel Pirates remixes: Great ideas, good energy, but spoiled by the mixdown. This track is no exception. The whole soundscape is mushy and mid-heavy, and most of the leads are buried behind the repetitive orch hit synth.

Speaking of that synth, it's super repetitive. For me, it wore out its welcome by the halfway mark, and it still didn't let up.

I loved the beat and the original take on this track. It's fun to listen to. But it needs to be mixed much more cleanly, and that one synth needs to be varied, at least on occasion.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/12/11 - (1N) Battlefield 1942 "Pixelfield"

a triple feel for this one is a fun idea. it's very energetic. the kick sounds very mushy and the bass is overlapping it, which doesn't sound good. the melody comes in at 0:30, but it's overshadowed by the rhythmic stutter synth that i think is supposed to be a pad.

there's a nice build and we get a new lead synth at 0:56. it's still mushy, but at least i can hear the melodic content from the A second of the original. the lead goes into the mid range under the very loud stutter pad synth, and then i can't hear anything but that.

there's a break at 1:52 or so, and that's a nice shift. the stutter synth is still hammering away, but at least we get some new stuff going on. this isn't the B section of the original - i guess we won't get that at all? - but the chord progression is new and different. there's another long build that honestly sounds almost the same as the first one, and then another copy (almost directly, from the sound of it) of the melodic approach used at 0:57.

it does this for a while and then ends.

there's a neat tech demo here, but ultimately just doesn't...go anywhere. the constant stutter synth throughout, the same lead being used to do the same thing in both melody shout sections, and the mushy mastering all don't make something that stands out. this needs a lot of work in both the arrangement and production arenas before it'd be postable.

NO

• 1 month later...

In agreement with the other J's on this one. The intro starts with real promise, but ultimately the impact of the track fails to deliver due to the mushy mixing and relentless lead synth sounds.

This style of Eurodance seems like it's easy to make, and to an extent it is, but the majority of the work that goes into the real bangers of the genre is in the production. I think overall advice to you guys as producers is to focus on techniques that will make your mixes clean, retaining some dynamics, and variation within the repetitive structures, such as switching up leads and paying attention to sound design.

Once you've got a good understanding of how to make mixes with good, clean production, you'll have a baseline to experiment with arrangements and more advanced techniques. That foundation needs to be there first and foremost.

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/12/11 - (3N) Battlefield 1942 "Pixelfield"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Battlefield 1942 "Pixelfield"