OCR04604 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"

Liontamer

ReMixer & real name: Eino Keskitalo
e-mail: 

Names of games arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo DS)
Name of Arrangement: Sieluraiteet
Names of individual songs arranged: Realm Overworld

MP3 link: 

I'm continuing my journey through my old compo tunes and polishing them up for submission. This one comes from People's Remixing Competition round 247 (https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC247), from 2013, so this track is soon 10 years old originally!

The overly busy compo piece has been chiseled out to have some dynamics in it. Also I've replaced some of the high-pitched instrumentation with a bit more middle-focused stuff. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome!

Big thanks to few people for feedback, which helped tremendously with the final 5% of polish:
* HenkkaStorm on the OCR forums
* Hemophiliac and adrian (gravitygauntlet) and possibly others on #workshop in OCR Discord

It was a really fun feedback loop over a few days where people suggested small, easily actionable improvements to mixing etc that made the end result that much better. Thanks to everyone!

cheers
--Eino

Is my brain broken, or am I on Candid Camera, how does this mix resemble the Spirit Tracks overworld source song in any way?  I have played this game infinity times and I know every note and nuance of this source tune, and I can't even detect the slightest connection of the remix to source.  Somebody help!

Edit:  Clearly this is not the right song.  I have messaged Eino for the final version of the correct remix.

Edit 6-12-23:  Link has been updated with the correct track.

Edited by Chimpazilla

There's a more serious tone to the arrangement, but does so without making the theme feel dark. Some nice weight to the bass writing, which established a nice groove. Good depth to the soundscape; everything sounds full, and I enjoyed how various lines would trail off. Oooh, nice ending too; it can come off as too sudden, but I dug that last set of stabs, as it were, which was a nice surprise. Glad you picked this one back up; I always trust your work, Eino, so I'm glad you found the creativity and confidence to get this to a point where you were happy with it.

CHOO CHOO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/01/07 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"

Now that we have the correct mix to judge, let's go.  Source is now clear as day!  Super interesting sound palette and easy-going spacey vibe.  I can almost see this theme working for the final part of the game where Link and Zelda chase down the demon trains in the Dark Realm.  In fact I think this arrangement would fit even better than the actual theme the game used, which in my opinion always felt like it didn't fit with the rest of the OST.  Production on this mix is terrific, cohesive and interesting arrangement, love it.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/01/07 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"

Source usage is definitely not a concern anymore. Nice industrial backdrop.

I do find that backdrop to be quite repetitive, though. It's complex and interesting, but it basically never lets up. It gets morphed during the the middle section (2:15-2:39), and a few moments at the end, but even for few seconds, its essential character is unchanged.

Fortunately, the track isn't terribly long. I'm not super happy with the static backing, but I don't think it's quite a dealbreaker.  Otherwise, the track is creative and engaging.

YES (borderline)

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/01/07 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"
  • 2 weeks later...

i love the bitcrushing that eino uses on the drums in several of his tracks. it's just such an iconic sound. it's used to great effect here. combined with the heavy stuttering on the backing parts, there's a great glitchy vibe that comes through here.

the lead has a lot of activity on it, which is nice, and it's also actively personalized with some fun call-and-response harmonic content, so that's nice. i didn't like that the first third or so mirrored the second third quite a bit, and to that extent the repetitive nature of the background that MW called out is noticeable. the break at 2:15 in the general concept is needed and well-timed.

there's some more background breaks via subtractive arrangement that show up around 3:00, and that's a nice change as well. some more noodles in the leads and glitches in the backing parts, and the track is done.

mastering is sound and the track sounds great overall. the arrangement is certainly different from the original if repetitive. i think this is solid. nice work eino.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04604 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/01/07 - *YES - awaiting possible revision* Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks "Sieluraiteet"
  • prophetik music locked this topic