Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name : Rockos
  • Your real name : Roch Côté
  • Your email address : 
  • Your website : None
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 44017

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged : Genshin Impact
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged : Port Ormos (Day)
  • Name of the remix : I Picked the Wrong Test Subject
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :
This one song was made for a kinda surprise to my wife. This came out absolutly of nowhere. She was in love with the music when playing the game and going to Port Ormos area during game daytime. I decided to remix it with my 'Drum and Bass' or what I like to call it 'Rock and Bass' surge.

This one has the energy + the groove in it. The source is being played a lot and change from fast pace to slow groovy bassline style with psytrance glitched stuff going on.

The goal was to have at the same time a good balance of energy and feel good kind of music. I also had to practice a lot for the guitar parts since it is going at a blazing fast 180 BPM. The solo (4:21-4:44+) in itself was cheated in the making in the sense that I didn't play it live but every part were played on my real guitar. Just had to use clever recording and sound placement.

I went a lot on the glitching effect side. Mostly heard in background pad and sometime on front element. I used the Rift plugin and experimented with a lot of settings and created some automation to go with it. I liked creating the 0:45-1:06 part where there is the main melody glitching and behind is a low passed bass meaning imminent drop. It has this 'It's coming' feeling to it.

The source in itself play as follow: Intro (0:00-0:44 Remix) plays the main intro melody of the original track (0:10-0:30 OST) and at the same time plays the end (1:31-1:42 OST) of the original in the background. (0:45-1:06 Remix) Is the build-up and plays the original 5 first notes of what I consider the main melody found at (0:50-0:52 OST). After that the part from (1:06-1:48) plays the main melody of the original (0:50-1:31 OST). (1:49-2:53 Remix) Alternate between the intro melody of the soundtrack and the main melody while at the same time playing the the of the OST (0:10-0:30 alternate with 0:50-1:31 + 1:31-1:42 OST). (2:55-3:14 Remix) use the end of the soundtrack (1:31-1:42 OST) as a build-up to lead into another alternate version of intro + main melody. (3:15-3:59 Remix) = (0:10-0:30 alternate with 0:50-1:31 OST). (4:00-4:19 Remix) Is back to main melody with a little small time change where the melody starts. (4:20-4:42 Remix) Is a guitar solo while playing the end of the soundtrack (1:31-1:42 OST) this time as an arpeggio. (4:43-end Remix) This arpeggio is then added with pads that reflect the end of the original OST)

I felt the need to had timestamp and explaination since this game is not in the OCR database hence the song might not have been heard a lot. So judge might like this read-up as they listen.

I really hope you like this track full of changes as much as we do.

Wav:

Original soundtrack:

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/08 - Genshin Impact "I Picked the Wrong Test Subject"

I'm super biased because I love the source tune so much, so I just wanna hear it like this. :-D

I'm liking the opening sound design, and the delay effects to give the first section a differnt feels, then fun phasing stuff at :45. The sequencing can feel stilted but there's charm and intention in the overall sound. At 1:06, we get a basic core DnB beat pattern; Roch, I think there's way to spice this up provided you talk to the right people, but we need to take the plodding training wheels off of this beat-writing, because it's a weak link. Good variations of the leads to keep the theme treatment fresh throughout!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/08 - (1Y) Genshin Impact "I Picked the Wrong Test Subject"
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great example of how to do original writing that fits right in with the original. I kept re-referencing the source tune thinking that the remix was too conservative, and it's absolutely not — the writing is just so smooth that it feels like the additions were always there to begin with.  The new solos are an absolute delight, full of infectious energy.

I see what Larry means about the vanilla beats, but I disagree that it's a problem that has to be fixed: percussion exists to support the piece, not to stand alone as its own interesting and engaging component. Certainly creative part-writing for the drums is a plus, but when everything else that's going on is so good, it's really not necessary IMO.

I haven't played Genshin Impact, so the source material wasn't familiar to me; it came across as fine but not especially memorable. This remix is exceptional, though, and I'll definitely remember it.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/03/08 - (2Y) Genshin Impact "I Picked the Wrong Test Subject"
  • 4 weeks later...

ok, that intro is super evocative right off the bat. 0:45's goofiness is a good building element too, there's clearly a lot more going on under the filter and i was really anticipating hearing the hit, which was worth it when i got there. i think the lead's a touch loud when it hits - don't forget to volumize instruments for context when you're using additive arrangement techniques! - but the melodic presentation at 1:06 and subsequently at 1:27 is great.

there's a funky breakdown at 1:49 that's got some neat stuff going on outside of the melodic material. it wound up being longer than a breakdown and was more just where the track went - the zippy synth at 2:50 was probably my favorite part.

there's another extended build to the big hit at 3:17, and the half-time beat is fun alongside the nasty subbass. this section feels a bit like it's missing something in there - i think that there's room for an active synth in the middle here, but i get thinning it down. the beat comes back and we get the melodic material played through once before the guitar solo (which is imo too quiet). a dropoff outro and it's done.

i don't have a problem with the drums. the way they're used is idiomatic to the style (a la Pendulum's In Silico album). when the big name dnb bands are doing the same pattern for most of their songs, i think it's fine to use it as-is here.

i have some nitpicks but overall this is a banger. looking forward to listening to this on a system with a serious subwoofer. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/03/08 - (3Y) Genshin Impact "I Picked the Wrong Test Subject"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

I see a waveform sausage, let's see what we've got here.  Cool intro.  Oh ok, that drop is mega cool!  I wasn't expecting that.  I love the energy at 1:07.  WOW THIS MIX IS LOWD.  -6.3db RMS is very very loud.  With a ceiling of 0db, SPAN shows me there are billions of "true peak clippings."  I don't hear artifacts, but there are not a lot of dynamics in this piece.  

"Animal test 63" came through super dry.  I love the drop that follows, that growly bass is awesome.  But the mastering is so hardcore that the lack of dynamics really sticks out to me, and the section that should be the most impactful sounds very flat.  I'm not feeling that deep bass although it is clearly there, because everything else is playing equally loudly.  SPAN looks like a straight line at that point, everything screaming at once.

That said, I love the energy, creativity and the fun sound choices in this arrangement.  

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04563 - *YES* Genshin Impact "I Picked the Wrong Test Subject"
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic