*NO* Mario Kart Wii "S-Rank Rainbow"

Emunator

Hi there,

Profuse apologies for the 11th-hour submission. DD and I had to leave this one in the oven a bit longer.

Contact Information

Submission Information

Thanks for your consideration!

Drew
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this is an instrument swap of the original. It consists entirely of two loops that are structurally identical to the source, ending in a fadeout, just with different synths.  It even plays at the exact same speed. We're looking for more interpretive arrangements than this.

Otherwise, production is fine. Synths are a little vanilla but sufficient. Same with the electric guitars: they're clearly fake, but they're not even trying to be real, so it's fine. The main issue is the structure.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/04/30 - (1N) Mario Kart Wii "S-Rank Rainbow"
  • 3 weeks later...

this is an interesting one. it's definitely a single loop that's repeated pretty much straight through, with a fade for the ending. i'd say that there's more going on here than an instrument swap. i'm hesitant to call this a cover since there's so much in the background going on that's new and updated. the drums are pretty much just a loop with a few fills, but the bass, pad work, lead synths, and countermelodic content is a lot more dense than the original. plus the mastering is super clear despite a dense soundscape.

i think if this wasn't >50% repeated content between repeating the first loop and then repeating it again while fading out, i'd be ok with this arrangement, actually. the real issue is that it's a 1:14 loop with a timpani roll on the intro and then a fade on loop 3. the initial loop slaps, make it not repeating content and i'll vote positively.

NO

Edited by prophetik music
Homonyms =/

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/04/30 - (2N) Mario Kart Wii "S-Rank Rainbow"

MW undersold the arrangement techniques used here, but prophetik elaborated on what he did hear to present a fuller picture on the positives here. The overall sentiment's right though in that this arrangement's vastly underdeveloped; once you get to 1:13, you've heard it all, so see what other variations and/or ideas you can bring to the table. Would love to hear another version of this, as the sequencing worked well, the presentation's nice and fluid, and the, albeit brief, guitar guest spot by Daan had good energy. If you're not closed off to revisiting this, Drew, see what more you can do. Juke's Double Dash arrangement's a great reference; perhaps integrating other theme cameos could give you ideas in varying up the instrumentation and textures. There's plenty of other ways to fulfill this track's potential as a standalone arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Mario Kart Wii "S-Rank Rainbow"