OCR04607 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"

Emunator

Hey ocremix team!

I'm submitting another one of my arrangements!

ReMixer name: Mental
email address: 
my social media:
https://lymusicger.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/lymusicger
userid: 17600

Name of game: Donkey Kong Country 2
Name of original soundtrack: Mining Melancholy
Name of my arrangement: Prismatic

Some important remarks to the track:
I used the metal tops from the source material. I made sure it's subtle and is audible at the start and during the second part of the main theme around 2:38. I hope it doesn't clash with copyright issues.
The spoken vocals originate from commercially available sample packs.

To the music itself:
Mining Melancholy already had a retro vibe to begin with, so synthwave felt appropriate for me.
Personally, the signature sound of the original track has always been the insane percussion and the heavy synths, so I preserved the top metals and kept the whole piece synthy. To give it a bit of the organic feeling I added some vocals, little arpeggio effects and an electric guitar to fill in between the melody. It's a very simplistic remix, but I hope it's still enjoyable.

Best regards!
Ly

• 2 weeks later...

Opened with an extended intro with simplified progression until the arranged melody arrived at 1:08. Nice meat to the beats, and good energy and drive with their composition. It's a fun take where the melody's not leaned on, but the writing from the source is still present. Nice spin on the chorus at 2:09.

It can feel like the seesaw's tilted toward the production side because the emphasis isn't on the source melody being loud, proud, and upfront, but there's nothing saying that's the way you have to treat a melody; it's totally fine and cool that it's not prominent the whole way. Great sound design with a lush result. Could have even had more ideas brought in rather than what's a semi-abrupt finish, but what's there is still a fun end result. Very nice job, Ly!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (1Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"
  • 3 weeks later...

Once again, Ly surprises and impresses with their ability to arrange in nearly any genre. The approach here is more understated, but the source is always close at hand, and there's plenty of sonic expansion over the original. The tone of the spoken word vocals fits really nicely, though the words themselves feel non-sequitur and cheesy, though I can't argue against the fact that cheesy is genre appropriate for synthwave.

No reason I can think of not to push this through!

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (2Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice. Gives me strong Enigma vibes, which I loved the hell out of back in the '90s.  Soundscape is a touch bass-light, but otherwise is rich and full. A little busy and muddy at a couple of points. Great choice to slow down the melody in different ways while keeping the beat the same. Overall this sounds great!

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/08 - (3Y) Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"
  • 3 weeks later...

i really like the fade-in. the initial beat at 0:17 is a great feel, with tons of space in the synths in front and tons of wash in the pads and sweepers. i normally don't care for vox clips in remixes that aren't specific to the style, but these fit well too.

the melody hits around 1:09, and for a bit it's really dense. i don't think i'd call it muddy but like MW said it's very busy there with all the verb wash. a little less on the lead would have helped a lot - same tail length, just have it fall off the initial note faster. the chop synth that came after that was less intrusive to the soundscape and i liked that implementation a lot more.

there's a nice break at 2:09 that's perfectly timed. i would have preferred the lead here to have a bit more attack since it's fading a bit into the background with how light it is.

there's a recap of the initial melodic material from 1:09 at 2:54, and it's very close to the original section with a few small changes for about 35 seconds. there's no real ending, just a hit with the backing pads fading out.

this is mostly a rubber stamp. this is a great track regardless of my nitpicks, and you really nailed the style. nice work.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/08 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04607 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 "Prismatic"
  • Liontamer locked this topic