Your ReMixer name: Pixel Pirates
Your real name: Tobaunta Torkelsson & Fredrik Vinterstjärna
Your email address: 

Your website: pixelpirates.nu
Your userid: 37469 

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VIII
Name of arrangement: Dancefloorphans
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Truth

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: We started by listening to the original and quickly decided that the main melody wasn't enough to hold our interest but the melody leading up to it had a certain something to it. Since one of the only EDM-styles applicable in this case was Big Room (which switches the main melody for the breaks) we decided to make a Big Room-esque track where the main melody is in all the slow parts and the so called drop consists of variations of the intro melody heard in the original. It is quite the departure from the original but that is a key part of a track from Pixel Pirates.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/22 - Final Fantasy 8 "Dancefloorphans" *PROJECT*

Not sure if it's because it's a relatively recent track or because James C. Hoffman mastered it, but the mixing was better than many of the older submissions y'all have sent. I'd argue the soundscape should have been clearer, but I can live with this.

I really enjoyed the rhythmic changes you've employed on the theme, and the way the leads, textures, and overall energy level were handled also sounded more varied and creative. At 2:24 though, areas were being recycled, so I would have liked to have heard a more overt difference, but there was a different lead at 2:55, and the overall repetition wasn't a dealbreaker. Something about the beats from 2:24-on didn't really drive this forward in the best way, but it was solid enough; again, likely another area where I felt writing ideas were getting recycled in a way where there could have been more variation.

Regardless, the arrangement was very transformative, so, while I had some critiques, this was still well on the right side of the line in terms of the creativity and development, IMO.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/22 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Dancefloorphans" *PROJECT*
  • 4 weeks later...

I had some initial reservations about source usage, since the main groove is pretty far removed from the source material, but after a few listens I get the connection, so I don't feel the need to timestamp the rest.

It's pretty standard house, but it's house done well. It's repetitive, but that's the genre, and there's hardly any actual copy-pasta going on. Production is a little grainy and lo-fi, but it's not a dealbreaker. Definitely better than a lot of the Pixel Pirates submissions we've gotten of late. I'm on board.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/22 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Dancefloorphans" *PROJECT*
  • 5 weeks later...

the dark humor in the name is just hilarious.

the triplet intro next to the duple lead initially was a little confusing for the first few seconds, but the first thirty seconds definitely have way more arrangement than any of the previous PP remixes i've heard. when the kick finally really hit at 1:02, i was really feeling it. this style definitely fits the original more than a traditional house approach.

1:32 is another break, building through melodic usage in a variety of synths to get back to a build beat at 2:24 and the full sound at 2:39. there's a short outro starting at 3:24 and it's done.

it's pretty straightforward, and a good adaptation especially compared to some of the previous stuff you've submitted. it's great to continue to see progress in your craft.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/05/22 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Dancefloorphans" *PROJECT*
  • 2 weeks later...

This felt restrained to start, but there's some really cool arrangement of the theme and some really fun synth patches (love that flute!) The fun here is all in the rhythmic changeups that are emblematic of big room, I found so many different rhythms to latch onto as I was listening to this. I definitely agree that this is one of your most successful outings to date, and it's really gratifying to see the small ways you've improved your craft without necessarily straying too far from the Pixel Pirates formula!

I felt like the kick didn't have quite enough beef - it might be because it's pitched up so high and has relatively little sub presence. A little more compression and maybe saturation might have helped, but it's totally functional in its current state!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04519 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Dancefloorphans" *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked this topic