OCR04498 - *YES* Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"

Emunator

Google Drive
-
-

This information is found in the README.md in the project folder

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name: Xaleph, Audiomint

• Your real name: Matthew Sabol, (Don’t make her name public please)

• Your email address: ;

• Your website(s): https://www.animeremix.org

• Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 458

Submission Information

Tags

• Electronic > Synthwave > Darksynth

• Electronic > EDM > Trance > Psytrance

• Dark

• Aggressive

• Female Vocal

• Tempo Change (103bpm <-> 143bpm)

• Gdim

Summary

I loved the ocremix "Link's Underworld Pressure Cooker" from wRenchpilot and I wanted to create a more Darksynth / Psy-ish take on it.

Also, listening to Mercenary by F.O.O.L., I realized that Darksynth is basically psytrance just slowed down from 140-150bpm to 100-105bpm.  I wanted to have fun with this!

• I took the darksynth style and sped it up for fun

• Added a few psy squelches, something I haven't ever used before, so it was exciting to learn how to make those

• I tried some of the textures I've been wanting to add to the long break

• I wanted to use some new (to me) filters on Audiomint's voice which I used when she sings in the slow break

• For the second tempo change, I speed it up from 143 to 206, and then drop to half speed.  This was to give the illusion of "going uphill both ways" - instead of slowing it back down to 103.

• For Hemophiliac - I added that 5/4 skip after me saying "heh".

Audiomint obviously did all the singing.  She had multiple recording sessions to get it the way she wanted it to sound.

Details

Where is the original song?  To be frank, this one is a lot more obvious than some of my others - but here it is nonetheless!

0:00:583 - “Key appears” nes sound
0:17:476 - End of G diminished "arpeggio" from original
0:30:291 - 0:39:612 - G dim arpeggio routine but really really short “ticks”
0:39:612 - “I found it” nes sound
0:42:524 - 1:44:343 - The arpeggio, the main melody, something from the original song is playing in this range
1:46:034 - 1:59:555 - The arp comes back
1:59:555 - 2:13:076 - Audiomint sings the main melody very very quickly
2:13:076 - 2:53:639 - Lots of variation on the main melody
2:53:639 - 3:24:637 - The arp
3:24:637 - 3:43:278 - Sound effects from the game are played in this range
3:43:278 - 4:01:918 - Main melody variation
4:01:918 - 4:20:559 - Main melody variation sung by Audiomint
4:20:559 - 4:57:841 - Arp
4:57:841 - End - Main melody, variations and sung again by Audiomint

Mastering - I used -10 LUFS as the target.  If this isn't loud enough or too loud, let me know.  It's an easy thing to fix.  I'm sidechaining the highpass and I'm using some Ozone Element tools.  I'm no expert at mastering, especially my own mixes.  If something is off, let me know asap and I'll correct it.

Tools Used

• Reason 12.5.1

• Kong

• Radical Piano

• Thor

• NN-XT

• Grain Sample Manipulator

• Objekt (I threw this in there last minute)

• for Reason FX - a ton of filters, compressors, Audiomatic was used a ton, Scream 4, Pulveriser, Quartet/Sweeper, Reason's various delay/reverb

• Valhalla various fx (Echo/etc)

• xfer records - Serum 1.357

• Izotope Ozone Elements 9

• PG-81 and Shure MV5 for Audiomint’s voice

• Panorama P6

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/26 - Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/26 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"

Great job here. Production is clean as hell. 

Arrangement wise this is great. Lots of variation in the theme, and it's a fun take on a classic. You always get the sense that you're in the theme, but you also take lots of liberties and departures that keep it interesting, even with a piece pushing 7 minutes of content off an essentially 45 second theme. I think if I was being picky, you could have shaved a minute or so off this piece without losing strength of content, which is always a good choice to make in my opinion, particularly in the section starting at 4 minutes ish. That felt like kind of a repeat of some of the beginning to me. 

I would have liked the melodic voices to come out a bit at 1:00 or so, as I was really kind of just getting the bassline. This ended up being my biggest critique throughout the entire piece, as I felt like I was more often than not just riding on that bassline, and I was wanting more of the source to come through. Making it subtle like that is definitely a choice though, so if that's the choice you wanted to make I won't hold it against you from a judging standpoint...it feels intentional, it just didn't necessarily jive with what I wanted in the piece.

The drop at 1:45 is satisfying and well-built. Vocals are on point and haunting, but again, I feel like they could have come out more to the front. I understand that the feature of the song is kind of the bass and rhythm, but I wanted more of the melodic voices up front in this section as well. 

Overall though, this is a clear pass for me with just some eyebrows on some of the stylistic choices. Great job. 

YES

• XPRTNovice changed the title to 2023/05/26 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"

I love this so, so much.  Hard-hitting techno, tons of detail and ear candy, and variation in sounds used.  Soundscape has that "empty yet full" feel that I love.  I agree the leads could have been just a touch louder, but I get why they aren't, I suspect it is a stylistic choice to keep the soundscape feeling empty and hopeless while focusing on the core groove.  The soft vocals add just the right creepy atmosphere.  This is a very strong arrangement and I dig it maximally.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/05/26 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"

aw yeah, that intro is awesome. washy pad into a super-defined bassline and choppy percs. i love the space added there, it adds so much definition to the groove. the melodic parts are intentionally buried for much of the first minute and a half. i like the concept (underground!) but do wish they were just slightly louder at the start of that. 

impressive breakdown at 1:45 and a huge tempo change. the vocal parts are appropriately ethereal and sliding around in a pleasing way. we get a real lead finally at 2:43 with some more percs - and then it's back to the fat bass groove, with more choppy synths doing the lifting on the melodic side.

there's a huge build that again uses tempo to intensify into a big break at 3:25. lots of sfx and a neat, appropriately weird plectral lead brings it back up. more vocals - what a great addition to the piece next to all the obviously synthetic instruments - and tons of rhythmically driven filtro synths to build back up to the bass groove re-entering at 4:39.

there's a few more runthroughs of the melodic content with a huge build into an outro. the chord at the end that it ends on is unexpected.

what a great track. if you'd have told me before starting that i was going to get into a bass groove that was essentially one note for six minutes i'd have laughed at you. the track sounds awesome.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04498 - *YES* Legend of Zelda "Shadows of Hyrule"
  • Liontamer locked this topic