OCR04575 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Tears in Rain"

Liontamer

Was told to just send the title of the track from the album, but for the sake of making source stuff easier, I'm going to include timestamps and explanation of how the source was used in each piece.

Title: Tears in Rain
Source: Silence and Motion (FF8)
0:03 to 0:55 - Main melody from source
1:13 to 2:41 - Motif from source. In the original this section is purely the arpeggio with some rhythm behind it but still a key component of the original.
2:48 to 4:33 - Main melody from source again but slowed down.
4:36 to 4:45 - Starting motif from melody repeated a few times as an outro.

Chords follow suit with original throughout but are in a different key from the original, but the progression is identical.

Definitely not the sort of thing I listen to for fun, but I can't deny that it's done well. As Hemo pointed out in our initial project evaluation, it's a clear reference to Vangelis's work on Blade Runner, even sharing the name of a track on the album; a little too on-the-nose perhaps. The source breakdown was helpful, even necessary.

It does what it's meant to do. I don't have any particular objections.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/10 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Tears in Rain" *PROJECT*
  • 2 weeks later...

i always found this original to just be so odd.

more musicbox (just listened to the stage is set remix) to start alongside sweeping pads gives a very pastoral feel to the opening. there's a shift as we get to the Motion part of the original, and the addition of muted distortion sustains/washes is a big change from the opening. the repetitive melodic material is immediately recognizable. this is extended, and eventually we get something new at 2:48. this is indeed slowed way down, almost to the point of not being recognizable, and continues with the very spare soundscape that was defined earlier.

the track is extremely simple, more of a backing element to a scene than something you'd seek out to listen to regularly. still it fits our guidelines.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/10 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Tears in Rain" *PROJECT*

It wasn't slowed down to a point where I had any trouble recognizing it, so I'm not sure where prophetik was coming from there. The "Tears in Rain" style homage was apparent, yet without seeming slavish or uninspired, so I'm down. I'm actually disappointed that this arrangement's title isn't "Tears in Motion" , "Silence in Rain", or some other way to combine & acknowledge the two inspirations together. Oh well, still good stuff, Zack!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/10 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 8 "Tears in Rain" *PROJECT*
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 2:28 PM, Liontamer said:

I'm actually disappointed that this arrangement's title isn't "Tears in Motion" , "Silence in Rain", or some other way to combine & acknowledge the two inspirations together.

Haha, this is actually my biggest criticism of this track. The execution here is quite solid - I feel like there is room for more incidental textures/foley sounds/ambiance/ear candy throughout the track, but there's plenty of personalization and sound design going on to make this your own and pay homage to that classic Vangelis sound. Great choice of source material to apply this sound palette to, as well.

Loved this on the album, this is a very easy

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04575 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Tears in Rain"
  • Liontamer locked this topic