OCR04610 - *YES* Valis 3 "See Me Again"

Liontamer

Contact Information
Your ReMixer name: tibonev
Your real name: Juliano Flores
Your email address: 
Your website(s): https://classicgames.com.br
Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile:

Submission Information
Name of game(s) arranged: Valis 3
Name of arrangement: See Me Again
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Deja-vu

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Game is in the site database.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): OST is on th site.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, how the source material was referenced in the arrangement, etc:
This is chill / lo-fi take on the Deja-vu theme. Originally arranged for the April 2023 DoD competition, where several people were mentioning having a stressful month, i decided to arrange something soothing, to maybe give people a couple of calm minutes during the listening party. The source is heavily represented in the chord progression and main melody is there. I added a couple of parts/solos and changed the whole feel/vibe of the track. The main idea here is to be a bit nostalgic, and give that calm feel, which i think i achieved. Hope you all enjoy. :)

Link to the track: 

Thanks, and i'm on OCR / DoD / Pixel Mixers discord as well as available through e-mail, if you need to contact me.

Take care, cheers! :)

--
Juliano "tibonev" F.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/07/03 - (1Y) Valis 3 "See Me Again"

I can see what MW’s saying about monotony, even though it didn’t bother me. Nice and relaxing vibes, with a good amount of subtle textural changes and the occasional simple original sections that provided low-key yet meaningful variations throughout. Original writing from 2:03-2:24 was noodly, IMO, but no big deal. Smoove stuff from Juliano! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/03 - (2Y) Valis 3 "See Me Again"
  • 2 weeks later...

the intro guitar tone is just perfect. what a great sound, simple but effective. the beat comes in at 0:15 and is pretty snappy, and i noticed here that the track isn't particularly balanced from section to section (would love to hear some more compression). the melodic material is well-played by the guitar, there's a wrong note in the chord at 0:46 in the middle of the background, putting a minor third next to a major from the sound of it.

the break at 1:21 or so with the ep is again an excellent instrumentation selection, fitting the style very well. 1:55 is a bit of stylistic change, and there's a few funky notes from the altered chords used there.

after this it kind of noodles through some melodic material and then it's done.

this is pretty simple overall, but the simplicity is a feature, not a bug. it's a nice approach to an underrepresented game.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/07/03 - (3Y) Valis 3 "See Me Again"
  • 3 months later...

Real nice tone to the guitar and piano to start things off. The writing is chilled out and cohesive, nothing crazy going on on any fronts but it really works as a whole!

The beat is fine for what it is, but I think there could be a lot more movement to the percussion without sacrificing the chill vibe. The hi-hat/auxiliary percussion specifically feels very static in terms of sequencing, which inhibits the groove from really flowing. The percussion is also mixed with a lot of sharpness in the high end, specifically in the snare and hats. Typically, for a lo-fi approach, you'll want to high-shelf or lowpass filter your drums to shave off some of that high end piercing frequency, since it's poking out dramatically compared to the softness of the rest of the soundscape. Not a dealbreaker in my book, but this is definitely something to improve on your next outing in this style.

Pretty easy pass, in spite of its simplicity. I could really see you evolving this style with future submissions but I have no major reservations about what's in front of me. Nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04610 - *YES* Valis 3 "See Me Again"
  • Emunator locked this topic