OCR04509 - *YES* Streets of Rage 2 "Sega FM Drum and Bass"

Liontamer

• Streets of Rage 2
  • Sega FM drum and bass
  • Spin on the Bridge 
  • For this remix, I wanted to push two facets of the original to the max:  Sega FM elements and the Dnb style frentetic energy. At the same time I wanted to keep the main theme intact to not alienate fans. I would say this isn't a radical remix, but rather the original and more. Besides one tape-stop effect, this was made entirely (drums, everything, effects) with Chipsynth MD and I am still discovering what the synth can really do.  That's all there is to say - I hope you enjoy and thanks for the judges' consideration. Sorry for the uninspired title. 

I could see the sound palette not appealing to some, whether judges or listeners, but I'm cool with this. Opening groove seemed like it was going to drag out, but then shifted at :35. At 1:14's section, I'm liking the energy, but something's sounding missing from the soundscape. 2:03 repeated the intro, then 2:15 repeated 1:14's section. 2:39 had a very brief original piece, just a few seconds before ending. Didn't like the copy-pasta of that chunk of the last minute, but this was a different enough textural take on the source that, unlike Parker's shorter Sonic 2 piece, this could bear some of that repetition. I'm on board.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/05 - (1Y) Streets of Rage 2 "Sega FM Drum and Bass"
  • 2 weeks later...

That last section isn't quite copy-pasta, and even if the backing wasn't different across the four loops, they're short enough that it could be forgiven anyway. It's a bit mid-light there, but otherwise it sounds great.

The only thing I really dislike is the ending, because there isn't one. The last sounds are literally cut off. It does wind down, so you can tell an ending is coming, but it's still too sudden. Some of the transitions are also a little sudden and substantial, but they're clearly intentional and work for what they are,

I have no problems giving this a

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/07/05 - (2Y) Streets of Rage 2 "Sega FM Drum and Bass"
  • 2 weeks later...

this probably needs a new title.

the variety of synths in the opening alone is just great. tons of creative noisy stuff going on all at the same time. 0:49's where it really gets going, and there's a ton of craziness going on in. i really appreciate the commitment to just getting dirty throughout.

1:40's shift is great - getting an extreme-g vibe from that hat sound, and the continued energy through this section is great. 2:15 does repeat the synths from earlier, but with different drums, so i don't mind the recap.

if i am going to complain about any of this, it's that it really should have an actual ending instead of a hard cut like it has. the volume of repeated material is also worth a note - while i don't mind mostly repeated stuff if there's an attempt to mix it up, there are a few borderline elements in the last third of this piece, and the remixer's other track had a lot more by volume as well.

that said, this is a fun take with a ton of attention paid to unique synth work and a good amount of energy. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/07/05 - (3Y) Streets of Rage 2 "Sega FM Drum and Bass"
  • 2 months later...

Ooohh, now THERE'S the bass! One of your most recent submissions felt sorely lacking in low end frequencies, so I'm happy to report that this nearly approaches "Oops, All Bass!" territory and really explores those sub frequencies more fully. You've got some seriously squelchy sounds going on. The sound design is off the charts. For as insane as your mix is, you manage the levels and balance quite well. Crazy stuff.

This was clearly written to loop rather than end on its own, so I would have liked a stronger ending, but it is what it is. Let it fly!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04509 - *YES* Streets of Rage 2 "Sega FM Drum and Bass"
  • Liontamer locked this topic