OCR04504 - *YES* Castlevania "Simon's Madness" *RESUB*

Emunator

Original Decision

hello,
Thanks to Larry for his support, that's what motivated me to review the song.
This is my resubmission. Thanks

Re Mixer : Onirik Dreamer
email : 
Link of old version vidéoclip : 
user id : 38210

Name of game arranged : Castlevania (NES)
Name of original track : Poison mind (composed by Kinuyo Yamashita & Satoe Terashima)
Name of my track : Simon's madness
Additional information about game : 1986 (NES)
Link to the original soundtrack : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2VQmWQ-J8
Your own comments about the mix : I wanted to make a more energetic and electronic version of this theme while keeping the general atmosphere of the original track.

I was already a YES on the original submission, and this cleans up the mixing and adds in some subtle variation that may tip the scales for some of the judges who were previously borderline. I really appreciate the changes at :36 to give the listener a break from the arpeggio while still keeping the momentum of the arrangement going. The extended outro feels more natural and ends on a more satisfying note.

Easy signoff from me, thanks so much for being willing to revisit this track!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/29 - (1Y) Castlevania "Simon's Madness"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/29 - (2Y) Castlevania "Simon's Madness"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

my original vote was around the need for there to be more to the arrangement, as it was too simplistic.

0:36 is a lot better now. shifting the arp out of the forefront is a huge positive there. the track is still clearly based on that original, but it's not just the arp slamming away. the arp coming in at 1:16 feels like a nice return rather than "oh man, even more of this?". shifting it then right away to the more bell-like synth and stuttering it in and out is a great idea as well.

thank you for taking our (long-winded) criticisms to heart. this is objectively a better and more listenable track now.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/29 - (3Y) Castlevania "Simon's Madness"

This is still a pretty relentless groove overall, but it's a vast improvement. The modulation of that core arp throughout the piece makes a world of difference: it constantly changes waveform and volume, and even whether it's a lead or accompaniment. It also takes a break for a good chunk of the first half of the arrangement, to the point I started to get concerned about source usage. (It's obviously fine in the end, as it's present for nearly the entire second half.)

Great work, and thanks again for taking our advice.

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/07/29 - *YES* Castlevania "Simon's Madness"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04504 - *YES* Castlevania "Simon's Madness" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic