OCR04495 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*

Liontamer

Remixer name:   Bluelighter (ID 21840); Bowlerhat  (ID 30366); Dewey Newt (https://ocremix.org/artist/18034/dewey-newt); Tsori(ID 2960)
Real Name:  Guillaume SAUMANDE; Jorik BERGMAN; Matthew Moore; Logan Thomas
Mail:  

Game & Songs: Final Fantasy VII & Debut
Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU
Interpreter:   

Bowlerhat: Flute
Dewey Newt: Trombone
Tsori: Trumpet 

Comment:  

Hi OCR,  

Here is an orchestral arrangement of "Debut" from ff7, with collaboration of Bowlerhat (flute), Dewey Newt (Trombone) and Tsori (Trumpet). Thanks to them! These three instruments reinforce what I want for this mix, alternating delicate and heroic mood!   

I really enjoy the original track, simply but effective; like a lot of jewels of the OST. In the game, it matches with a play acted by two important characters. Distinct parts of this arrangement can represent different acts of this play.  

The beginning is close to the original and announces the main melody. At part 1b (cf. breakdown), the March band instrumentation starts. It continues at part 2 with some madcap harmonies, notably with trumpet. For these, I’ve taken my inspiration notably of the French composer Gerard CALVI who made  The Twelve Tasks of Asterix  

Part 3 makes a contrast with the precedent. It’s played by flute in a sad mood, with arpeggios of harp. I’ve played with the time signature to accentuate the hesitating mood of this part, with breaks more of less long after each phrase. The harmony is also different of the original, contributing to the sad mood.  

Return to March band rhythm at parts 4 and 5. Part 5 gives variations of melodic line 2 (ML2), with some heroic harmonies.  

The arrangement concludes by the flute playing ML1 in a peaceful mood.           

Enjoy :)   

Guillaume  

Breakdown  

Original

• 0’00 Melodic Line 1 (ML1) 
  • 0’21 ML2  
  • 0’45 ML3 
  • 1’00 Repeated 

Arrangement  

1. ML1 
    1. 0’00 Soft 
    2. 0’24 March Band 
  2. ML2 Madcap 
    1. 0’45 Intro  
    2. 1’03 ML2 
    3. 1’29 Transition 
  3. ML1 Soft  
    1. 1’37 ML1 Variation 
    2. 2’06 ML3 
    3. 2’15 ML1 Variation
    4. 2’23 Transition ML3
  4. 2’29 ML1 March Band
  5. ML2 March Band
    1. 2’50 Heroic  
    2. 3’14 Madcap variation 
  6. 3’38 Soft ML1   

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/12/11 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*

stylistic influences are immediately recognizable. what a fun idea.

interesting time signature choice initially - sounds like 9+10. adding in extra eighths to make it feel like a wobbly dance. the subsequent bigger orchestrated section uses this regularly to keep the listener off-balance - very fitting considering the context (the Gold Saucer).

after the larger orchestrated section, there's a much more patient and quiet setion from 1:29 onward. the flute notably has a lot of air tone - consider a high-freq filter to remove the air noise, like 6-8k. 2:50 features a bit of a shift where the orchestration is a little more goofy than before and feature some fun side-by-side harmonies and intentional dissonances. 3:37 is essentially an outro and it's done.

this is an intentionally silly version of a neat track on the ost. it's well-performed and well-orchestrated. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/12/11 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*

Sorry about the delay on this one - when I was evaluating this in the inbox, I couldn't figure out which source you were remixing and I never followed up on my email. I'm glad Larry was able to get it sorted out!

This is an easy rubber stamp from me - you picked a quirky source tune and ramped up that quality even further. The live performances really breathe life into this in a way that sampled instruments might have fallen short with, and definitely puts this over the edge for me.

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2021/12/11 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*
  • Liontamer changed the title to (2021/12/11) *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04495 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "The First Playing" *FALLTHROUGH*
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic