The submission link: 

Your ReMixer name

Kyaku

Your real name

Richard Westbrook

Your email address

Your website(s)

N/A

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

38541-kyaku

Name of game(s) arranged

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII

Name of arrangement

Memories of a Green Shinra

Name of individual song(s) arranged

Chrono Trigger: Memories of Green and Final Fantasy VII: Shinra Corporation

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Both are popular songs for remixes so I imagine I can’t add much more here, though please let me know if I need to.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Chrono Trigger: https://youtu.be/2EIyCAzmAso 

Final Fantasy VII: https://youtu.be/CPiA0Mm45_I 

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, how the source material was referenced in the arrangement, etc.

I attempted another mash up, though this one is much less 50/50 split content between the two songs, with the most of the Chrono Trigger track left on the cutting room floor.  I always loved the perceived key changes in the original Shinra song, it felt so dramatic and fatalistic.  I’ve been on a retro vapor wavy kick recently so it’s probably leaked into this track too.  Moar gated reverb snares! Vangelis was on my mind certainly when I started out, though these things have a way of running their own course by the end.  Only my second submission so any and all feedback good and bad is of course appreciated!

This floats along in a relative (but genuinely artistic) indistinctness. :-) The beats in particular definitely have an awesome presense; good snap to 'em, followed by the vapory trailoff. After just Chrono Trigger "Green" to start at :14, it shifted over to the FF7 "Shinra" theme at 1:37, then back to "Green" at 2:21, and again to "Shinra" at 3:02 until the finish at 3:48. Everything's just swimming in vaporwave muck, I love it; sax accents were a nice touch, and even though everything's very ethereal, with the "Green" melody in particular sometimes not being right in the foreground, I could make out the part-writing I needed to. Very spacious and full sound, Richard, with a subtle escalation in the tension!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/16 - (1Y) Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy 7 "Memories of a Green Shinra"
  • 3 weeks later...

memories in green is such a timeless track.

some sfx and detuned pads before we get the intiial beat at 0:16. snares feel a touch loud here even considering where they're coming from (ie. the shinra track), and the long tail is covering what else is going on. it's a super wet sound especially in the backing pads. 0:55 we get some saxccents, and we finally get some melodic content at 1:39. the subtle gated synths here are so good, and i love the heavily filtered pingpong echoes.

2:22 really feels like a big shift despite there not being a ton of changes. the choir and addition of other sustained content fills out the soundscape a lot more here. the ending is sudden - i felt it to be too much so, the track just kind of ends.

the interweaving of these two tracks is excellent. my only complaint is the ending, which it certainly isn't enough for me to say no just for that.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/16 - (2Y) Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy 7 "Memories of a Green Shinra"
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/16 - (3Y) Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy 7 "Memories of a Green Shinra"
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning sound design. This is absolutely brimming with vibes and texture, and you literally could not have picked a better set of source tunes to make this idea come to life. The mixing glues everything together with just the right amount of reverb and delay without feeling indistinct, and there's never a moment where it feels like you've exhausted your creativity and are just coasting on repeated ideas. The evolution across the arrangement is subtle but effective. Wow, I love it. Incredible work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04577 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 & Chrono Trigger "Memories of a Green Shinra"
  • Liontamer locked this topic