OCR04491 - *YES* Chrono Trigger "A Battle Across Time"

Liontamer

ReMixer name: jnWake, Lucas Guimaraes, Gamer of the Winds, Ivan Hakštok.
Name of game(s) arranged: Chrono Trigger.
Name of arrangement: A Battle Across Time.
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Oh boy... Let's go: Battle, Battle 2, Boss Battle 1, Boss Battle 2, Magus Confronted, World Revolution, The Final Battle, Fanfare (names taken from the OCR site https://ocremix.org/game/16/chrono-trigger-snes).

Link to arrangement: .

Oh boy... I'm a little hesitant to submit this considering it's a 9 minute medley of 8 sources but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. I don't like calling it a medley since I didn't do an arrangement that's structured like "song A -> awkward transition -> song B -> etc" like most medleys do, rather going for a more cohesive track where each source comes and goes, but I guess it's technically a medley still...

Anyway, I made this track for Dwelling of Duels' Silent Protagonist month on July 2023 (a lot of DoD material coming from me this year!). I've always loved the Chrono Trigger soundtrack (quite original of me) but I had never really wanted to cover it since, well, everyone else has. Originally I just wanted to make a fun remix of the main battle theme, but at some point I started adding more sources and eventually decided to simply add every battle theme from the game and ended up with this monstrosity. Somewhat funnily, while making the list of sources I noticed neither Boss Battle theme has ever been covered in OCR so if this makes it I'll add something new at least!

In terms of style this is like a progressive rock piece that focuses mostly on piano and bass. I didn't want to add guitars this time and instead focused on a different soundscape, with a lot of piano, organ, brass and woodwinds. For better results I recruited Hakstok to play bass and Lucas to play brass. Lucas then, in turn, contacted Gamer of the Winds for the woodwinds and that ended up forming a pretty neat team!

Since I don't want the judges to suffer too much (although this could be avoided by a direct post *wink wink*), here comes a somewhat detailed breakdown of source usage:
0:00-0:44: All of this section is based on the main "riff" of Battle Theme 1. I basically harmonized the main bass melody with 7ths and focused on the D-F-D pattern for the very beggining.
0:44-1:08: Section based on the ascending chords from Battle Theme 1. It's a little bit subtle, but the bass and sax melody are based on Battle Theme 2.
1:08-1:15: Transition based on the intro of Boss Battle 2 (the source's main progression starts with Am-Cm and I use that progression here, continuously changing keys).
1:15-1:47: Switch to Boss Battle 1: intro + its main melody, first on sax and then on synths.
1:47-1:59: This part is from Boss Battle 2. Fun fact, this section is mostly in 6/4 since it's on triplets because I needed the notes to be faster.
1:59-2:11: Synth solo with the Boss Battle 1 backing.
2:11-2:24: The part from Boss Battle 2 again. Transition back to the intro was a bit tricky since I had to move from triplets to standard time.
2:24-2:37: Intro's back! Now with bass runs.
2:37-2:48: New chords over Battle Theme 1, they tease the next source.
2:48-3:01: Battle with Magus main melodies appear! The backing is still based on Battle Theme 1 which creates a fun dynamic IMO.
3:01-3:28: Second melody of Battle with Magus, probably the section I reharmonized the most. Transition to next section is a classic II-V-I.
3:28-4:01: Intro of World Revolution, played on bass!
4:01-4:33: This is based on the middle section of Last Battle (bass and organ particularly). Sax ensemble solo!
4:33-4:42: Flute melody taken from World Revolution.
4:42-4:54: Also from World Revolution but with the bass of Last Battle. I really like the arpeggio synth I picked for this section.
4:54-5:03: Flute melody's back!
5:03-5:16: Another section from World Revolution here.
5:16-5:28: Flute solo over a variation of the previous riff (in a different key ofc).
5:28-5:38: Yet another part of World Revolution which also acts as a transition. I really like how this part turned out.
5:38-5:50: Return of the section from 0:44, now with a synth solo! It was fun to play.
5:50-6:03: The transition based on Boss Battle 2 returns, but now ends on a descent.
6:03-6:26: Main melody of Boss Battle 2 on sax.
6:26-6:38: This riff is from Boss Battle 1 (it's the part just before the loop).
6:38-7:10: We return to Battle Theme 1, using its "main melody" over a different chord progression than the source's.
7:10-7:40: The song's ending and climax begin with the return of Last Battle. Just like the original I repeat the bass riff first on E and then on Eb.
7:40-8:30: The main CT melody! It's technically part of World Revolution as well so I just had to fit it somewhere in the arrangement.
8:30-8:50: A reharmonization of the victory fanfare. I only used the first part of it, the second part was a little tough to reharmonize and the track's already long enough...

I hope the "medley" aspect of the track doesn't mean it's quickly rejected, but I already have a posted medley so it should be fine? Anyway, hope you enjoy the track!

Thanks for the arrangement breakdown. People get so antsy with medleys though; I'll have to look at revising the wording in the Submission Standards so that, if it's currently not clear enough, it's not a source of overthinking and stress. :-) The structure here flowed just fine, and it's clear that it's not just an instance where themes stop and start with little-to-no flow or transitional glue.

Nitpick time:
* The opening piano is noticeably blocky (most noticable at 6:39) and lacks body, but it's serviceable enough in concert with the other instrumentation.
* I'm finding that jn's recent pieces have a common production feel where 1) there's noticeable (though not majorly detrimental) quality disparity issues with some sampled instruments vs. live ones, and 2) the soundscape can feel thin despite enough activity going on, which I can only assume is a result of the mixing choices (though I'd love to be corrected/informed by a musician J on that). You can listen to the Okami "Waka Waka" sub and get the same takeaways; they sound good, but could sound more vibrant.
* The drumkit had a great tone, and I can hear how the writing's not metronome-y at all, but those parts still felt plain sometimes; would love another perspective on that.
* As for one thing here that may have contributed to thinness, the bass writing barely registered most of the time, which was unfortunate; it's there, but generally doesn't cut through or take up appropriate or meaningful space.

Nitpicks and nice-to-haves aside, this is a strong arrangement, buoyed by the live performances from Lucas, Greg, and Ivan. Good stuff, jn!

YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2023/08/16 - (2Y) Chrono Trigger "A Battle Across Time"

I agree with Larry, and I felt the same about Waka Waka.  The piano sample being used is not the strongest one; it sounds very bright, which is fine but it tends to lack body and nuance and comes off as blocky and almost tinny.  I think a better piano sample, one that is slightly more velocity-sensitive as well, would be an improvement. 

I'm not sure if Larry meant that the drum kit or drum writing was plain, but I disagree on both counts, I think the drums are great overall and the writing is varied and fun.  My only nitpick would be for the snare to be mixed with a little more snap, it sounds a little subdued, especially in contrast to the super-clear high-hats and crashes.   Perhaps it is the lack of snap/sizzle in the snare that is causing the drums to sound "plain?"

Bass could have a little more presence sure (I'm a sucker for big/bold bass) but what's here is more than fine.  The piano tone and velocity-sensitivity is what bothers me the most in the instrumentation here, but in the context of this full arrangement, it really is a nitpick.

What an interesting and varied arrangement; it does play like a medley but feels completely cohesive.  The soundscape consists of mostly the same elements all the way through but with nice surprises both in writing and extra sounds.  Lots of variation in cadence and pacing too.

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with Shariq that this arrangement slaps hard.  Let's go!

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/08/16 - (3Y) Chrono Trigger "A Battle Across Time"

yeah, i agree that the piano sample is not great, and it's not used great (lots of slammed velocities, little room sound).

the thing that got me throughout the arrangement is how indeed the track does feel very cohesive despite the constant changes between themes. the ensemble feels great throughout, and i never feel like there's a transition where it was awkwardly shoved in there. it feels like a prog track with the constantly shifting textures and how you constantly are passing off the lead around a small cast of characters, a critical element in making it feel all like the same track.

any complaints are nits, like the synth solo at 5:38 having too much verb/delay and too long of a tail, or the common intonation issues in the horns (which were particularly bad in the last minute or so of them playing).

really impressive arrangement here. love it from start to finish.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04491 - *YES* Chrono Trigger "A Battle Across Time"
  • prophetik music locked this topic