Performers:
  • Psamathes - Vocals
  • Harp - Harpsibored
  • Cello & 2nd Harp - Chromatic Apparatus 
Name of game: Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Name of arrangement: An Endless Sleep
Name of song: Skytown
Composers: Kenji Yamamoto (I), Masaru Tajima, Minako Hamano
Comments: Wrote this as part of the album Harmony of a Hunter Returns. Wasn't a huge fan of the source track but the director REALLY wanted it on the album and nobody was staking a claim pretty far into the production of the album... so I took charge and worked on this track. Director also really wanted to use Harpsibored and Chromatic Apparatus for their harping abilities and having never worked with a harpist before.. and having a sudden change to work with two of them... I write two harp parts as a ... sort of duet. I then did my usual thing stacking orchestral bits and bobs, atmospheric mumbo jumbo, a choir, etc... ultimately put a cello part in there when I found out Chrom also played the cello(Ace fellow that one)... and then the director yet again convinced me to use ANOTHER person and put me in touch with Psamathes so I swapped out the fake choir with her voice on... several tracks. She didn't disappoint and gave the track some much needed life in the second half. Eventually I decided why not add some acoustic guitar as well, so took out the guit and recorded a couple of parts being Psam's vocals. I'm sorry to all 3 of them for not submitting this sooner... they did awesome and I can't thank them enough for their contributions.

• 3 weeks later...

harp opening is beautiful, if a little skewed off-center to the right. the initial strings aren't particularly realistic. after the swell at 0:33, though, there's a lot more richness in their tone and it sounds a lot better. there's some really nice swells and interplay in the harp parts in here.

at 1:21 the cello comes in, and the audio is still skewed to the right ear a lot. it's much louder and clearly is hitting a limiter gate on that side several times. i also wouldn't have realized this was a live cello due to the doubling in the tone. there's a great brass swell going into 1:59, and the addition of percussion there was a great addition. the vocals sound great too, although the lower part occasionally has some pitchiness on a few of the sustains. 

there's a sustained diminuendo that's a great setup for the final big push starting at 3:14. i appreciated psamanthes's chest voice through here, it's really rich and fills in the overall timbre nicely. there's a short outro in the harp and it's done.

this is beautiful! there's a few nits here and there, but my only real complaint is the heavy emphasis on the right ear through maybe 1:59. despite that complaint, it's definitely above the bar and is worth posting. there's a richness to this orchestration that's just so evocative.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (1Y) Metroid Prime 3 "An Endless Sleep"
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't hear the balance issue unless I pay close attention, and otherwise this sounds fantastic. Rich orchestration and lovely choices for electronic enhancement.  I hear a tiny bit of crunchiness on occasion, but it's minor and easily overlooked. Excellent sound otherwise.

YES

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (2Y) Metroid Prime 3 "An Endless Sleep"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (3Y) Metroid Prime 3 "An Endless Sleep"
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely stunning expansion on a source that I actually happen to like a ton. Metroid Prime 3's soundtrack didn't resonate with me in the same way as the first two, but this is definitely a standout, and your arrangement takes the atmosphere that was present in the original Skytown and takes it on a proper cinematic journey. The massive swell at the 2 minute mark, and the organic percussion loops that follow is easily a highlight for me. Psamathes vocals blend perfectly with the orchestral elements, feeling ethereal but not totally detached or formless. Live contributions from Harpsibored and CA also elevate this even further in my book. You did this one justice Zack!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - *YES* Metroid Prime 3 "An Endless Sleep"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04627 - *YES* Metroid Prime 3 "An Endless Sleep"
  • Liontamer locked this topic