OCR04638 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 & 9 "Heads or Tails"

Liontamer

ReMixer name: ZackParrish
Email: 
User ID: 29013

Name of game: Final Fantasy 6 & Final Fantasy 9
Name of arrangement: "Heads or Tails"
Name of song: "Edgar and Sabin" (FF6) & "Place of Memory - Memoria Theme" (FF9)
Composers: Nobuo Uematsu
Link to track: 

Comments: Did this one for Darkesword's Game Set Smash competition. Was interesting making the two themes play together but wasn't too challenging since it just ... kind of worked bouncing them off one another. Memoria makes a great counter to E&S, and the opening 'melody' of Memoria also has the same interval pattern that E&S plays over and over again, so those two bits worked quite nicely together as well. Was quite a challenge throwing this together but managed to do it in 3 days.

I could listen to "Memoria" all day but not really remember the melody well, and I'm not sure why, whereas "Edgar and Sabin" is hugely memorable for me. Regardless of my source tune opining, I enjoy the fusion here!

Percussion brought in from 1:09-1:37 & 2:38-2:52 somehow felt underwhelming; not a big deal, but something felt missing there. I did like the one percussion part from 1:37-1:57 though; didn't know what it was, but the sound was unique, as well as the placement in the soundscape.

This was a good example of giving "E&S" a darker edge, and the tradeoffs with "Memoria" flowed very well. :-) Cool instrumentation throughout, and solid dynamics. You could argue things were getting too cramped from 3:06-3:37 for the big finish, and some parts were feeling obscured, but the textures were full and I could make out the distinct part-writing well. Nice energy here!

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/19 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 9 "Heads or Tails"

i'm going to guess this was from 2023, not 2013 :<

pulsing intro is a neat idea, underneath the distortion effects and some light pads. the E&S really fits over the rich pad work. the swell at 0:57 is nice, and the chord work is interesting to listen to. the percussion that comes in at 1:10 is indeed weak-sounding, with a lot of other elements much further forward in the mix. the guitar part is nice but very treble-heavy - i'm sure that's intentional, but it sounds a bit shrill and the rhythm guitar sounds pretty staticky as a result.

1:38 brings a break, and we're back to some of the vibe from the intro until a shift at about 1:58. i liked the arp that comes in at 2:38 and thought that the understated lead in this section initially was a nice idea. 2:59's short build into the final blow-through of the melody was effective, and the soaring synth lines over this ending section sound great. the subsequent outro is handled nicely and it feels good on the ending.

this is an easy vote. the track sounds great, it's got tons of source, and it's a neat idea with the two tracks being combined together. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/19 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 9 "Heads or Tails"
  • 1 month later...

Really neat approach, and such a rich sound.

I will say that the piano lead is awfully quiet, and is hard to hear in 0:53-1:22 and 1:50-2:24 under the big string swells. I lost a few notes in there entirely.

While that's not exactly a nitpick, I think the strengths of this outweigh that one issue. Good job.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/19 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 9 "Heads or Tails"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I told myself I wasn't going to vote on any GSM tracks due to my participation in the competition (and the fact that this track solidly beat my entry in round 1...) but since this seems to be lingering without any votes, I think it's been long enough that I can be objective. Let me put on my objective hat...

...it's lit. This is an easy, easy vote, Zack brings his usual level of high-quality cinematic sound design, with a heavy emphasis on texture and rhythmic movement throughout the arrangement. The fusion between the two themes is creative and seamless. Especially for a 1 week endeavor, this is truly impressive and speaks to Zack's abilities as an arranger and producer.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04638 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 & 9 "Heads or Tails"
  • Emunator locked this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic