OCR04566 - *YES* Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*

Liontamer

Resub from a form rejection in 2015 -LT

Hi,

Here is a resubmit of this old remix.

"Fun fact" the name of the remix is a pun of "The Large Hadron Collider", I don't know if anyone has catched that, should probably just change it. :P

The arrangement hasn't changed that much from the previous version, but I hope it still passes. I think mixing stuff has improved a lot or either I am really bad at mixing and deaf. 😅

- Jari

Another case of a PsyNES track where there are piercing frequencies and the volume's loud, but I can move past it. I didn't hear the original version that got the form letter, though it's safe to say this is well beyond that level now.

After the track ramps up and the melody kicks in at 1:19, the textures feel cluttered and busy for me, just not in enough of a way to hold this back. The arrangement's very vibrant and sprited, that's for certain.

Good dropoff at 1:59 with a change in the sound of the leads and some different filtering effects and sweeping sounds to color things. 2:29 had different types of supporting instrumentation bouncing around underneath the melody to keep that presentation fresh.

I couldn't get granular on how to rein in this mixing or make it sound less messy, but it's not a strong knock against this as much as it's saying there could be tweaks done to make this sound more cohesive.

Solid reprise of the "Hard Man" melody for the final section at 3:25. Not sure what could have held this back, but I'm all aboard with this version for sure. :-) Nice work revisiting this, Jari, and for having a don't-give-up attitude; it's paid off nicely with this one! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (1Y) Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*

It's certainly loud. My volume was already a little low, and I had to lower it further.

Sounded pretty great otherwise, except that I thought the bass and drums were a little loud and the leads a little quiet up until 1:15. After that, I thought they weren't "a little" so anymore, but much so. The leads are pretty buried, and the kicks are really loud, as are the sweeps. At 1:39 this gets even more pronounced due to the unusual kick pattern; around 1:42-1:45 I can hardly hear the lead at all; in 1:55-2:00 the kicks are the only thing I can make out distinctly.

The rest of the piece is similarly balanced. The melody ranges from pushed back to completely buried, and the kicks dominate the entire soundscape.  This is an entertaining arrangement, but it's muddy and headache-inducing for me.

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (1Y/1N) Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*

Resub from 2015, wow.  I don't know what was wrong with the original submission, but this one sounds amazing.  Kicks are supposed to be loud, it's psytrance!  It's a super busy soundscape, but I hear everything clearly, the bass and all synths are audible.  I have no problem with the balances.  Lovely deep sidechaining.  Some of the sounds are definitely on the sharp side, nearly abrasive, especially at the fullest sections, but I can move past it just as Larry can.

I love the detail in this mix, lots of ear candy, unique writing and fun transitions.  Love it.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (2Y/1N) Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*

2015 is eight years ago? say it ain't so =(

big opening with loads of sweepy pads, but we get a kick at 0:33 and some more direction soon after. this is a loud mix! 0:49 is really where the progression starts to build, and there's a particularly neat arp that comes in at 1:19 as a lead/counterlead part. i'll agree that the melody is a bit buried, but it's certainly there if you know what to listen for. 

we get a break at 1:59 and it's well-timed. fun use of sfx in the false build. the melodic material is back in full bore at 2:29 and it's a great sound, with a variety of octaves used to convey the melody alongside a great groove. there's a runthrough of the B material, and a quick recap of the A melodic content and we're done.

this is great. like kris said, there's lot's of ear candy in this one. really neat ideas. i didn't find any of the synths particularly sharp, and i felt that the big, loud mastering didn't overpower the lead parts completely.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (3Y/1N) Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*

This title had me cracking up. I actually didn't find this to be too cluttered, abrasive, or poorly mixed - the balance felt appropriate for the genre and all of that wonderful ear candy you put into the arrangement is clearly audible. Transitions are snappy, the synth design is totally cohesive, bypassing the limitations of chiptune while fully embodying the spirit of the style. This reminds me of some classic 2010's-era OCReMixes from artists like Ben Briggs, Tepid, or Rayza in an incredibly nostalgic way.

Easy pass from me, good stuff guys!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04566 - *YES* Mega Man 3 "Large Hard Man Collider" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic