OCR04553 - *YES* Final Fantasy 4 & 9 "Salut Voisin!"

Liontamer

Link

link to song (wav)

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy IX
  • Name of arrangement: Salut Voisin!
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Welcome to Our Town (Final Fantasy IV) and Not Alone (Final Fantasy IX)
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPrel8i7RV8 (Welcome to Our Town)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ob36mdEV_w (Not Alone)
Comments:
Salut, mes voisins! This was our entry for the final round of Game Set Mash 1. This piece was a mashup of "Welcome to Our Town" from FFIV and "Not Alone" from FFIX. Because one of the sources was a town theme, we decided to pay tribute to Fred Rogers' and Johnny Costa's work on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Prior to the beginning of the round, colorado initially had their heart set on writing a "joke" track. As the round and the song continued to progress we found that what we had written went in a completely different (sincere) direction. colorado weeks did the arrangement, and Aeroprism performed the vocals. The lyrics were initially written in English by colorado, but Aeroprism graciously translated them into French for some chansonnier flair. We hope you enjoy! :)

Lyrics (French with Aeroprism's English Translation):

Verse 1:
Salut voisin, comment vas-tu?
Ça fait si longtemps qu’on s’est croisés
Ton visage me manque depuis un moment
Je me demande où sont passées, toutes ces années

Hello neighbor. How are you?
It’s been so long since we passed each other
I missed your face for a while now
I wonder where all those years have gone

Verse 2:
Salut voisin, comment vas-tu?
Étais-tu parti à l’aventure?
On dirait que maintenant, tu es si fort,
Racontes-moi ce qui te donne si fière allure

Hello neighbor, how are you?
Were you gone on an adventure?
It looks like you’re so strong now
Tell me what gives you such a proud look

Pre-chorus:
Même si on ne s’est pas si souvent vus
Tu n’en resteras pas moins un ami très cher

Even if we didn’t meet very often
You’ll nonetheless remain a dear friend

Chorus:
Peu importe où tu vas
Peu importe le chemin que tu suivras
Ici sera toujours chez toi
Voisin je suis avec toi
Oui, voisin je suis avec toi

No matter where you go
No matter what path you follow
This will always be your home
Neighbor, I am with you
Yes, neighbor I am with you

Verse 3:
Salut voisin comment vas-tu?
Je sais que les voyages peuvent être durs
Tu peux te reposer un moment
Il ne faut pas repartir si tu n’es pas sûr.

Hello neighbor, how are you?
I know that journeys can be hard
You can rest for a while
You should not leave if you’re not ready.

Pre-chorus:
Même s’il y a la guerre ou le mauvais temps
Mon ami pour toi j’aurai toujours un moment

Even if there’s war or just bad weather
My friend for you I will always have a moment

Interlude (Spoken):
Grâce à toi, chaque jour est unique, enrichi de ta présence
Il n’y a qu’une personne au monde exactement comme toi, et c’est toi!
Et les gens peuvent t’aimer simplement comme tu es
Je suis toujours content de te voir voisin, à bientôt.

Because of you, each day is unique, enriched by your presence
There’s only one person in the world exactly like you, and that’s you!
and people can like you simply the way you are.
I’m always happy to see you neighbor, see you soon!

Pre-chorus:
Maintenant tu dois continuer ton voyage
Je serai toujours ici pour toi, mon ami

Now you must continue your travels
I will always be right here for you, my friend

Chorus:
Peu importe où tu vas
Peu importe le chemin que tu suivras
Ici sera toujours chez toi
Voisin je suis avec toi

No matter where you go
No matter what path you follow
This will always be your home
Neighbor, I am with you

Last Chorus:
C’est le moment de ton départ
Je suis si fier de te voir grandir
À ta prochaine visite viens me voir
Cher voisin je suis avec toi

It is time for you to leave
I am so proud to see you grow
On your next visit come see me
Dear neighbor I am with you

there is at least 6db of headroom here.

interesting idea for a remix.

intro is adapted from the ff4 track right off the back, with some changed chords. the piano intro is odd because it's got no pedal, so it sounds pretty not real, but it's fun what it's playing. the bass is pretty boomy without much attack. vocals come in at 0:44, and they are competently performed. the range is clearly a bit of an issue, and sung french has a lot different than spoken french, but translating it to french does it give some panache that i don't think would have been there in english.

the track is mostly ff4's theme, with much less ff9 content woven into it - from what i heard, just the chorus part is ff9's melodic content. from a top-level perspective, the track doesn't really go anywhere in terms of dynamics. it is pretty much the same thing at the beginning as the end - keys and brushes on the drums and a bass and some bells trucking through the melodic content in order, with nothing really changing over time or being added or removed outside of a slightly quieter background for the spoken word section. there's a lot that could have been done to flesh out the arrangement more, including more time without the singer singing to give us a bit of a change there. and then it just ends, without even a repetition of the last phrase in the instruments to close it out.

overall this is a competent approach to the tracks. the singing is nice, the style fits the tracks, and the background doesn't get in the way for the most part. there is a lot left on the table that could have made this a really special arrangement, but what's here is probably over the bar.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/26 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 4 & 9 "Salut Voisin!"

Agreed with prophetik that there could have been other moments of dynamic contrast here with either a break from the vocals or more textural changes, though the shifts from sung vocals to spoken do provide contrast. To me, the flow's jaunty, the arrangement's still transformative enough, and the vocal performance is solid, along with the production and mixing. Nice to have bass writing with some presense as well; it was more just boomy without much attack, but it still helps fill out the soundfield well, so I'm OK with it. Disappointed that there was no real ending; just fashioning a more definitive conclusion with a few more seconds -- for example, with the mallet percussion -- would have capped this well. Nice team-up by Colorado & Sébastien!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/09/26 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 4 & 9 "Salut Voisin!"
  • 4 weeks later...

I really like the French café feel to this, which I got even before the vocals kicked in. That combined with interleaving You Are Not Alone in as a bridge made this sufficiently transformative to me. It's smooth enough that if you don't know the sources, the addition is mostly seamless, except that it pushes the singer's range a bit below their comfortable range.

The singing is simple but adequate, although it does get a trifle flat at moments. The conclusion is unfortunately the most dramatic of these, literally ending on a sour note.

My nitpicks are nitpicks. Overall this was well-realized and creative.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/26 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 4 & 9 "Salut Voisin!"
  • 2 months later...

I love the concept of this piece, but I wish it was developed a little bit more. 

From a production perspective personal biggest beef with this is the piano. The EQ is too boxy - it needs some information around 5k and less at 500hz to open it up. It sounds much more fake than the rest of the instruments, and the performance at times is mechanical and in need of humanization. When it's mixed in with the piece, it sounds better, but at the opening I think it needs to be more cleanly EQed. 

Vocal performance is stellar. No qualms there. 

Arrangement, there's just not a lot going on in here; it's extremely simple.  I can't argue that this doesn't pass the bar for interpretation or quality, but there's a lot of untapped potential in here, in my personal opinion. And then the piece just sort of ends seemingly in the middle of a phrase, drops off completely. I just wanted a bit more. 

From a standards point of view, however, this is well within them.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04553 - *YES* Final Fantasy 4 & 9 "Salut Voisin!"
  • Liontamer locked this topic