*NO* F-Zero "Fire Field"

Emunator

Submission Details:

Colin Sandquist

Game: F Zero
Music: Fire Field

Looking For Work and Getting into the Video Game Industry.

Best.

Colin Sandquist: Game Developer + Graphic Artist + Music Composer and Performer
Phone: TBD
Email: 

Source:
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

at least four seconds of silence to start, and then it's absolutely slammed after that with a fade-in of all things. there is, at the jump, a lead synth, a bass synth, and the drums. drums sound like a loop as there's not much there besides a fill between sections. i don't hear anything that's not in the original in the synths outside of some embellishment of the riff at like 1:09 and 1:20. there's no pad to fill out the soundscape, essentially no personalization to the lead, the drums are on auto-pilot, the bass doesn't ever change, there's no breaks at all in the track, and there's no variety in sounds used.

it does the main loop twice and then does a too-long fade-out.

this needs a ton more arrangement for it to pass our arrangement standards. it's also clipping significantly in several places and needs actual mastering done as opposed to what's here.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/10/28 - (1N) F-Zero "Fire Field"

Wow, these levels are fuckin' SLAMMED, what in the living hell??? My brother in Christ, pull this back. :-D

Sounds like a big density change, but otherwise 0 compositional differences in this version compared to the original. Starts with a fade, ends with a fade, loops the same, structure's the same, no differences from section to section, and no effort given to personalize the arrangement approach beyond a simple MIDI rip/instrument swap, so this would be a clear Standards violation here.

I'm sad to say that we don't have any "Fire Field" arrangements on OCR yet, so for reference on what we're looking for with more transformative and interpretive arrangement techniques, listen through the F-Zero arrangements we've posted and compare those to the original songs.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/10/28 - (2N) F-Zero "Fire Field"

Obviously this would need a different title if it were to pass, but...

Yeah, those levels are mad. Nothing, then a rapid fade-in to an assault on my eardrums. Even with my volume turned down by almost half, those pounding drums are uncomfortable to listen to. Then we have vanilla, static synths on top of a beat that barely changes at all. I don't hear any deviation from the source material, either; sounds to me like a simple MIDI rip.

Sorry, but this isn't what we're looking for in any respect. Arrangement, production, instrumentation, interpretation, and dynamic interest are all out of line with the things we post here. I hate to be so harsh, but I strongly recommend not only hitting up our workshop forum and/or Discord for advice, but listening to more of our library and reviewing our submission standards before submitting again.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/10/28 - *NO* F-Zero "Fire Field"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* F-Zero "Fire Field"