- UserId: 458

Submission Information
- Games: FF6 and FF8
- Arrangement Name: Terrastrial
- Name of Individual Song(s) Arranged: FF6 Terra and FF8 Under Her Control

Tags
- Psytrance

Summary
I wrote this for a bonus track for the GSM Competition.  I played around with it and it was pretty neat mashup combination.  I turned the Terra theme into a diminished chord and took some of the "Under her Control" and created a rhythm from that.  Beaker voice quotes so they're public domain.

After seeing how some mixes used the Muu Dream Machine, and talking to some of the DJs, they were asking for a lead in or an outro to easily mix it.  As a result, I tried to focus more on club based/progressive psytrance, which is why it ends in a simple beat (so it can be mixed in).  Although I wrote this in a week, I did end up going back and making minor modifications.  We need more Terra mixes anyways, so I figured this would help.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/08 - Final Fantasy 6 & 8 "Terrastrial"

Ooooooooooooo.  This is some truly excellent psytrance!  Tons of variation in writing, sounds, energy, beat, vibe, transitions, breakdowns and drops.  Mixing and mastering are top notch.  The arrangement of the two themes is seamless and creative.  But does it pass the stopwatch test, that would be the only issue.  Psy by its nature does not have a lot of motif, and the motif tends to be on the subtle side.  Assuming there's enough source, super easy pass from me.  Really nicely done track, I'm digging it.

My timestamp attempt:

0:42-1:09 I don't recognize this, is it Terra, altered?
1:12-1:27 Terra
1:27-1:33 Under 
1:40-2:07 Under (filtered in)
2:17-2:36 Under/Terra call and response (so well done!)
2:49-2:53 Under
2:56-3:00 Under
3:15-3:19 Terra (first three notes of the motif, and then reversed)
3:30-3:57 Terra (final part of source)
3:57-3:58 Terra
4:04-4:05 Terra
4:07-4:08 Terra
4:09-4:37 Terra

Total source use in the remix is 164 seconds, if that first part can be identified.  Track is 306 seconds long (which includes silence at the beginning, and drums/bass-only outro).  So 54% source, if that first part can be identified.  Can another J identify the source from 0:42-1:09?

YES (if enough source)

Edited by Chimpazilla

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/11/08 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 8 "Terrastrial"

filtro intro is great. sounds so good. and the initial hit sounds great too. i believe, if i'm not mistaken, that the synth work at 0:43 is the terra theme in a diminished chord instead of minor, with the last part inverted. it's essentially the same elements that show up at 1:12, but with a vertically inverted element.

the shift at 1:38 is great, tons of extra energy from the 16th patterns here. the section at 2:17 is cleverly done.

there's a bit of a break at 2:32 and it's back into a new beat at 2:35 for a bit before some sfx bring us through to a big break section with some rich pads and synced leads at 3:23. 4:23 brings us to the last major section, mostly Terra-heavy, and then it's done with some kicks. i wouldn't mind a final hit given that this isn't necessarily a club version that's going to be mixed in, but what's here is fine.

this is excellent. i have no concerns about source usage. superb job.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/11/08 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 8 "Terrastrial"

Pretty darn good, especially for a week's (plus) worth of work. It's a clever way of mashing the two themes together, and the overall tone is great.

It is a little more subdued than I'd prefer. There's a lot of presence in the sub-base, but not so much in the audible bass range. There's not much in the highs, either; other than some occasional leads, there's a pad in 3:29-3:56 (where there's no bass), and that's about it. It's not uncommon for the genre to go for long stretches with a shallow soundscape, though, so it's not a dealbreaker.

Not much to complain about here. Well done.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/11/08 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 6 & 8 "Terrastrial"

I recognize how the line from :41-:55 was changing the "Terra" melody with a different rhythm and notes, but it doesn't sound anything whatsoever like it, so I'm not counting any of that.

The track was 5:04-long, so I needed to make out the source theme for at least 152 seconds to consider the source usage dominant.

:03-:13 - "Terra" (chord from intro)
1:12-1:26 - "Terra"
1:26-1:32 - "Under Her Control"
1:39-2:06.5 (then 2:06.5-2:17 very quietly) - "Under Her Control"
2:17-2:24, 2:27-2:38 - "Terra" with "Under Her Control" at the end
2:49-3:01 - "Under Her Control"
3:29.5-3:57 - "Terra" (with brief pieces of "Under Her Control")
3:57-3:59 - "Terra"
4:03.5-4:05 - "Terra"
4:07.75-4:37 - "Terra"

147.75+10.5 quiet (let's call that half credit, it's barely audible) = 153 seconds or 50.32% overt source usage

Rubber stamp time. :-) Nice job, Matt!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04541 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 & 8 "Terrastrial"
  • Liontamer locked this topic