Looking for a good free filter VST

I have an issue with clicks/crackling when I feed audio to the mix amount on the built-in filter VST in my DAW. Basically, I'm trying to filter the low end from other instruments when an 808 bass hits in order to create space without sacrificing volume levels, but I can't do with the clicks/crackling from the value changes.

What are some good ones?

Xaleph is correct, everyone should have khs essentials, there's a lot of good stuff there. It's weird, some vst's don't automate well, even if they sound good otherwise. FL Studio's Flangus is a good example. Also, I have tried using FL's peak controller to automate the fruity balance plugin, and that works horribly...just like described in original post..nasty latency and sound. Trial and error is sometimes involved.

On 12/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, Audiomancer said:

Are you manually drawing the automation, or are you sidechaining it? Also, are you using an actual filter, or an EQ of some kind? Which DAW you using? Thanks:)

I'm using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio's native sidechain to control the mix amount on the built-in filter (set on high pass at about 400Hz).