OCR04656 - *YES* Super Metroid "Brinstar Depths (Sin City Mix)"

Liontamer

Artist Name: MkVaff

Looking back, it's surprising how little Metroid music I've covered in the past. It really is one of my favorite series of all time, and I've been playing it since the very first game on NES. The only full Metroid remix that I completed before now was in the winter of 2000, and it was posted on OCR on Christmas day of that year.

I think the fact that I've gravitated towards more upbeat dance music - especially in recent years - made the Metroid soundtracks a little more challenging for me to cover. As soon as I started envisioning some slower, darker remixes, much more of the music from the Metroid series suddenly made a lot more sense for me to consider delving into creatively.

While listening to some classic SNES soundtracks as inspiration for a few new remixes I was considering, the Lower Brinstar theme from Super Metroid sounded like it would fit in perfectly with the slower, more moody feel I had in mind for some of my newer work. The track has remained one of my favorites from the entire Metroid series through all these years, and there were a few iconic parts of the song I had an enjoyable time working into this interpretation of the classic theme. Hope you enjoy!

Games & Sources

Super Metroid

Composed by Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano

As soon as the beat came in, I was excited. Even though this isn't a huge melodic change, I've also never heard this theme approached with this kind of sound palette. Love the way the core beats have lots of power; they fill out the soundscape well. I liked the brief original writing that was like a countermelody from 1:03-1:14, and would have loved that to stay involved. I also would have loved to have had this take some distinct melodic or rhythmic turns, which'll sound like I didn't like Mike's approach; to me, it felt like the sound design ideas were so enjoyable that there could have also been good mileage out of other writing ideas together with these instrumentation choices, and that's just excitement over that writing potential, not disappointment at what we have. Very cool stuff that beefed up this classic theme well!

YES

This mix sounds clean and badass!  The arrangement is straightforward, mirroring the source tune in that way.  Very conservative arrangement, almost too much so.  Sound palette is perfect, feels like a mix of trap and synthwave.  Like Larry, I would have liked a little more variation in writing, sounds and ear candy, but what is here is excellent.  Some drumless/bassless breakdown would have been nice, something heavily filtered or bandpassed or wispy/creepy would be cool to break up the sameness of the bassline.  But dang, this just sounds too wicked good.  Let's go.

YES

triplet vibe is a good one to start out. the darker backing elements really draw out the feel of the original track too. starting with the B theme is a surprising choice but works pretty well as a prep element.0:51 is where the original starts. hats are a touch bright but only a little. i liked the doubling in the melodic line that starts at 1:42. 2:27 is the B theme again, with a bit of a thinner backing vibe than the A section. there's a second where both melodic elements are competing which is a nice idea too. there's a bit of an altered arp near the end for the last 30s or so and then it's done.

this is really close on the arrangement side to being too conservative for me. there is essentially nothing changed here from the original except the placement of the opening 50s and one note in the arp for 30s at the end. there's a lot of window dressing added on top which i'm counting as elements of the arrangement or else it wouldn't get there. obviously the mastering is dope and the synthesis work is superb, and that carries it for me.

YES

• 1 month later...

Mike always knows how to keep it simple and clean, even when the sounds get a little bit dirty. The arrangement is never the most ambitious in terms of sound design or radically altering the original melodies, but you always know how to set a mood, and the production is silky smooth. The Brinstar bass has just the right amount of swagger to work with the trap beat underneath it.

Not much more to say, nice work as always!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04656 - *YES* Super Metroid "Brinstar Depths (Sin City Mix)"
  • Liontamer locked this topic