WCT - The Writing Competition Thread [September Round]

G_D

FINALLY

the results are in! And the winner is (drumroll please)...

Barnsalot, with the runner-up being Manic Cinq. Here are your fancy sig badges, made by Doulifée:

1rstaw0.png

runneryf1.png

Sorry for the long delay. Hopefully the next competition will run a little smoother.

Speaking of which, I am updating the first post, and want to give you advanced notice that there will be a poetry competition starting May 1. Hopefully that won't conflict with anyone's finals week.

So, congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone for participating. I hope to see you all in a couple weeks!

Whoo! Congrats to Barnsalot and Manic Cinq! Also, good job everyone else!

I was hoping for at least runner up, but hey, it's both my first short story competition entry and my first short story ever. Can't exactly expect to win anything like that. :razz:

Speaking of which, I am updating the first post, and want to give you advanced notice that there will be a poetry competition starting May 1. Hopefully that won't conflict with anyone's finals week.

*raises hand*

Not that it'd cause a problem about entering, though; my poetry is not fit to see the light of day. The odds of me entering a poetry contest ever is 3,720 to 1.

Also, G_D, are you going to update the other thread with the entries that were linked?

Hopefully, I can get something written up for that contest.

BTW, congrats to the winners this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my submission. Its a haiku that I just wrote now, which I based off of a camping trip I had in northern Wisconsin. I hope you all like it. Note: I edited this post to do some capitalization in the poem. Good change/bad change?

Hiking at Midnight

Silent, gentle leaves

Little rivulets of grass

Grasp the starlit night

I may be wrong, but aren't haiku's supposed to have a reference to a season in them?

A) No comments on submissions until after the contest is over.

B) You seem to have an extremely limited definition of haiku. You probably also think all haiku are three-line poems with a five-seven-five syllable pattern. I refer you to Mr. Ezra Pound (link).

Erm, I was pretty sure that the traditional haiku was supposed to contain a season word, and that example you showed my simply seemed to be a moku poem or whatnot. I'll keep my comments to myself for right now, if you would like to discuss this maybe we should move to pms or something of the like.

Anyway! Here is my entry, oooh I enjoyed writing this one.

Title: Mount Gaze

Style: Freeform

I hesitate to call this freeform actually. I have written several poems of length in this style. I don't know if it has a name, but it is enjoyable to write in, and has some rules that I use when writing this way. I would call it, "Thought Poetry", but I think that name is too simplistic.

The top of the mountain is a lonely place.

Overlooking the crystal peaks from my frozen sanctuary,

it's as if everything is meaningless and insignificant.

Peering down, everything seems as if nothing really matters.

The problems of the earth are no longer my concern,---

I am content with being the watcher.

I have no true power however;

No true reason for my haughty airs.

It is simply an illusion granted by the monolith.

The cold is near unbearable.

The skies don't show it though.

There is no sign of all the freezing rain,

and all the snow that lies below.

All that exists-

Is a single moment of perfect clarity and reflection-

untainted by anything,

The sun hangs at the lower edge of the eastern sky, partially obscured by crystal peaks. Such power!

Even the sun cannot move them, Its rays blocked by their forms.

A light show emerges, terrific hues play over the scene giving the entire landscape a pastel aura.

orange near the horizon, and red, then purple, and finally dark, dark blue as the sky reveals itself.

A single bold star defies the sun, refusing to give up it's light just yet. The moon is the stars consort, and they stand together in inevitable rebellion!

It is a time of compromise however; The sun and the moon can coexist. They agree that for a few moments, they can share the sky; and the harmony remains unbroken for the moment.

Poetry? Prose? no. It is simply an experience. A discovery for the curious and bold, the ones of wit and cunning.

The sun paints no picture; there is armistice in the heavens. The sun and the moon hold no compacts, and I?

I start back down the mountain.

No need for PMs. Not all nontraditional haiku is "moku," which is really just a neologism coined by one modern poet to describe her own work rather than everyone else's. Modern Western haiku is extremely broad and varied, often staying true to the Japenese tradition in brevity only, and that Ezra Pound haiku is one of the most famous examples of it. Here is my entry:

*edited out to protect potential publishing interests--pm me if you'd like to see my co-winning entry of this competition for critical purposes*

Well, here's my submission. Its a haiku that I just wrote now, which I based off of a camping trip I had in northern Wisconsin. I hope you all like it. Note: I edited this post to do some capitalization in the poem. Good change/bad change?

Hiking at Midnight

Silent, gentle leaves

Little rivulets of grass

Grasp the starlit night

Well, I don't know much about what a traditional haiku is or whatever, I just did the 5-7-5 thing. Anyways, I uploaded it to writing.com, here's the link:

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1258064

And this is the link to my writing.com profile:

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/user_id/old_man_time

Good luck to everyone in the competition! I look forward to reading all of your poetry.

I had forgotten about this competition for a bit, there. >.<

Here's my entry (Rhyme scheme of ABACB):

Why do Men Die?

Why, I ask,

do events unfold in these ways?

Why, I ask,

do men toil away,

all their short days?

I watch,

they linger still.

I watch,

through all suffering,

a vain will.

I see,

the lives float by.

I see,

man and woman alike,

they cry.

A pity,

and I know not why.

A pity,

my heart, it asks me,

why do men die?

Remember, you must submit by 11:59 Monday!

Here's mine:

Inertia

The Force of gravity holds me down

Caught in this Moment today

The words begin to assault my ears

But I cannot run away

My mind goes numb and my Body is Static

As I sit in my Composite chair

The Distributed Load of my head on my desk

Leaves marks on my face

But I couldn't care

Less

It's dumb, but oh well. I wrote it during class, and was too busy to come up with anything better.