WCT - The Writing Competition Thread [September Round]

G_D

why not trying two title. a "popular" vote (made by regular) and a "writer panel" vote made by previous and current contestant? that need some vote, at least enough to made boh category to work.

It's a good idea, but like you say, it banks on having enough voters to make up two categories. Maybe cutting the categories differently, with the popular vote being anyone without a current submission and the other being only those competing in any given round?

SIG BADGES

first2tn6.png

firstdg7.png

runneruplm3.png

As for the topic at hand, I like the idea of only letting those who have submitted an entry in the past vote. It's almost like having a membership. Besides, I doubt many people who haven't been involved in a competition would even bother to drop by this thread. Is everyone alright with trying this next round?

Sweet sigs. That sounds like a good idea with the two seperate votes, but maybe if we don't have enough for two categories, we could simply weight the votes? So the people who have entered the competition would have their votes counted twice compared to those who didn't enter, or who haven't entered in the past, or something like that.

You can probably count me out of the freeform competition. I can't think of anything to write for it, and I'm busy with summer school-work and writing other stuff.

It, er, hasn't even begun yet. Seems a little silly to call a verdict this early.

It, er, hasn't even begun yet. Seems a little silly to call a verdict this early.

You may be right. I just thought of something to write for it, so I may give it a shot.

Also, why doesn't the competition start until July? Small summer break for the writing competition I'm guessing?

• 2 weeks later...
Hm, the Freeform only competition sounds interesting. It's been a long time since I've entered one of these competitions. Let's see if I still remember how to write.

Jam's back! :-o Good to see ya!

This next competition should be interesting. I should be able to get something done, given that my summer classes end this Saturday. Hope to see a high turnout!

Jam's back! :-o Good to see ya!

This next competition should be interesting. I should be able to get something done, given that my summer classes end this Saturday. Hope to see a high turnout!

Yeah, it's been way too long. I haven't written a short story (or anything else for that matter) in over a year. It's great to see that the writing competitions have been so successful.

Hey guys. Sorry for the silence, but I've been on vacation for the last two weeks. Just so you know, this competition is officially started, focusing on the Freeform category. By definition, I can't really stop you from submitting poetry or short stories, but I encourage you to think outside the box and be creative.

And no, Jam Stunna, only one entry will be allowed, as usual. Nice to have you back, btw.

Please don't ask me what inspired (possessed) me to write this because I don't know.

Here's my submission:

A Herculean Effort

He sat there, abdominal muscles tensed to the breaking point, straining, moaning, panting, pushing. His foot tapped at the ground, and his toes curled as if attempting to dig through the tiled floor. A groan escaped his lips, and a quiet whimper followed not far behind. He rocked back and forth, his arms wrapped tightly around his middle, while his palms dug deep trenches into his flanks. His eyes seemed to bore through the far wall, feigning an intensity to shame both hammer and chisel, that is, when they were not rolled back into his head, not withstanding the agony that roiled throughout the man's body, seemingly racking his very life away from him.

He gulped for a breath of air, and then held it. His face turned crimson, and the thin vessels in the whites of his eyes bulged and popped as if mortal man were not built for such an experience. He breathed the air out, and continued to rock, continued to grip, continued to dig through the ground beneath his feet. He arched his neck backwards and opened his mouth as if to bellow. But nothing came out. And when he threw his head back down it was in perfect sync with the jerking rock of his body. His foot now pounded at the ground, and his toes no longer curled, they writhed. They seemed to scream in-tune with the man and with his pain. Morbidly, his entire body seemed a chorus, synchronized, and in tune with his moribund agony.

It just wouldn't come out.

Also, could we possibly get the thread title changed from May submission to July submission?

Here's my entry guys:

A heart contains several notes-

Melodies for special situations.

Played like drums or quickly strummed,

they produce emotions.

A midnight tryst contains a lovely ballad,

Tempered later by the blues;

Fighting words will illicit drama

sung by a broadway muse.

Fear of fate will still sing the gospel

following a quick bout of prayer-

While a sunset always arrives

following electronic days in subtle layers.

Anothers pain is echoed by a wailing sound,

A guitar crying their hurt that day;

While a flute, light and airy,

brings peace and fends loss away.

A snow covered field on a winters day

is reflected by all that jazz;

And a solo by a lone violin

will remind us of beauty past.

A single aria from a lonely soul

becomes a duet between lovers,

while a dirge follows inevitably

when they depart each other.

So from my heart to yours,

Why can't we sing forever?

Let's let our souls fly free and

see what music we'll make together.

Yea so I wrote a poem for the comp. I hope that's ok.

Center Line

I walk the middle road.

Down a horseshoed street

With the sun on my right and

A Hydrant on my left

Watching each step in time.

A bag of mail in my right hand.

Am I the postman?

No, no. just a friend.

My burden I have chosen to bear.

I arrive and the wind

Rather breeze

Picks up.

I am in the shade of many trees

The ground undried from the afternoon sun and the morning’s rain.

I leave the sack at the door and turn back.

Dylan singing, track 6, greatest hits.

I walk the middle path

Head up straight and full

Clarity in the air.

Each sound each sight

Every thing in the light.

Rightly cast the shadows and far free the feelings.

But strange no feeling of freedom

No burden to bring my face down.

Wow. Am I a horrible person for not entering my own competition?

Anyway, I'll get everything fixed up for voting tomorrow afternoon. Right now I'm off to bed; it's been quite the busy week.