OCR04703 - *YES* Undertale "You Can Always Come Back Here"

Artist: Emunator feat. Hotline Sehwani

In December of 2023, I spontaneously left my career job of 10+ years, intending to take a long break to recover from burnout and figure out what I was meant to do with my life. When I came home after my last day of work, I made it all of 30 minutes before I got bored and decided I needed something to do. I booted up FL Studio and started working on what would become the first single to my debut commerical arrangement album. The project would come together over the next 3 months, and it became abundantly clear that I had figured out what I should really be doing with my life. It's out now on all streaming platforms, as well as vinyl/CD/cassette tape through Curaga Records. The album is a collaborative effort between myself and the diversely-talented musical wizard, grillmaster, and all-around cool dude Hotline Sehwani, arranging 10 songs from Undertale in a nostalgic, lofi-inspired style. I'm extraordinarily proud of the work we did together and am so excited to share what I've been working on in the background!

This arrangement is a more ambient, scrapbook-style variation on the opening song from that project, and uses a mix of stems from the official release and some new improvisations I recorded on piano and synths to accompany it. My goal was to not overthink anything, and just let the ideas flow. I drew heavy influence from Skrypnyk's original album Suburbia, specifically the penultimate song "A Moment of Tolerance." It's been a staple of my listening rotation for the better part of 2 decades now, and captures a feeling of melancholy, nostalgia, and optimism that I have yet to hear replicated. Hopefully I got somewhere in that ballpark here!

The original vision in my head when arranging this track was this: you wake up from a nap, you feel grass beneath your back and the sun is beaming down on you. Suddenly, you're a kid again. You're at the park with your friends on a carefree summer day, and whatever stress and complexities that once occupied your over-burdened adult mind are gone. You're free to play, daydream, and truly live in the moment. We spend so much of our adult lives romanticizing this feeling, so I made this song to remind myself that you can always find your way back there again.

Source:

opens with some very light washes of sound and some sfx. the build eventually includes some understated bass, piano, acoustic guitar strums, and percussive elements. the original's fairly repetitive, and overall this rendition keeps some of those repetitive elements and just slows them down some. there's a light wobble on most of the instruments used, and overall it's a very cozy sound, lots of autumnal warmth represented. there's an extended outro and it's done.

this is a style that i don't go for at all, in general, but what's done here is a consistent representation of the original in a new feel that somehow also doesn't lose the hopeful vibe that permeates the OST track. nice work.

YES

Man, I hate this slow shit... when's it gonna GO somewhere? (Kidding. :-P) I definitely hear the Skrypnyk influence, not just in the music, but in the effects and audio sampling of the kiddos playing and yelling at one another. A classy, mellow mood that breathes, clicks, ebbs, and flows. :-)

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2024/05/21 - *YES* - Undertale "You can always come back here"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04703 - *YES* Undertale "You Can Always Come Back Here"
  • Gario locked this topic