How essential is a MIDI keyboard?

Title explains it all--note I'm not trying to be cheap, in fact it's pretty conceivable that I could get a keyboard somewhere, but I'm just wondering how much a MIDI keyboard helps in terms of the workflow in Reason. Or maybe it's not necessary?

I know you can draw stuff manually in the piano roll, but everything seems more tailored to using a keyboard and recording on the go...

(this coming from someone who's accustomed to FL's piano roll, which I now realize I totally took for granted)

A midi keyboard in Reason can easily cut a lot of the work you do in half.

I highly recommend.

I completely agree. I usually do all my automation using the knobs on my midi keyboard and then go back and edit any discrepancies.

Also with the midi keyboard when ur browsing through searching for sounds just hit a few notes on the keyboard and you can hear the sound. A lot of times I do this while the song is playing, it really helps me to pick out sounds that generall fit with the soundscape.

Get something by M-Audio, I think they make the Oxygen ones, and you'll get a free copy of Live Lite (the slimmed down version of Ableton Live) most of the time.

The main reason I prefer Reason to FL is because my MIDI keyboard doesn't have ANY delay in reason because it has such a crazily low CPU usage, so I can sequence by playing (even at half speed cause I suck at piano) and just touch it up. SO much faster then sequencing by hand. Of course once I get my hands on a midi guitar pickup you'll hear some crazy stuff.

thanks for the replies! very helpful. =)

As of right now I'm really not used to using midi for input, but there's a first time for everything--and i have no doubt i could probably get used to it pretty quickly (though i might have to buy a new one first)...it does seem like it would speed things up. At the very least it would be a different feel in terms of workflow...and i'm always up for trying something new...

• 3 weeks later...
I'm planning to buy one as well. I've never used a midi keyboard, and I can't play piano(or any instrument for that matter). But I've been slowly learning on a non-midi keyboard and I suppose it saves time when I'm trying to write a melody.

Same exact situation here.

Here's a link to some controllers on zzounds.com

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Keyboard-Controllers--2684

Would this one be any good, anyone think? I've been eyeballing it for a few days now.. Worth the purchase?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIPCRM50

I'd love to get one of those Novation Remote keyboard controllers but they're freakin' expensive compared to the rest!