Should I get a new PC?

rammfan87

I have a laptop thats about 2.5 years old. It has XP, and a 60 GB harddrive. About 6 months now, the audio's been skipping. Usually when I try to do something else on the PC while listening to music. It'll skip about every 2 seconds. I figure I've just got too much crap on it.

Also, when I start up the computer at first, it tells me I'm missing 4 .dll's. So I'm thinking they might be audio dll's or something.

Also, I've noticed random folders in my C:/Windows folder. Like "Uninstall$3897" or something like that, and they're hidden with blue text. Can I delete those?

I'm not a computer whiz, but I appreciate any help.. :)

Just get anything important off and do a wipe then reinstall if you can. I have found that with Windows, doing a complete reinstall is often faster than dicking around trying to fix shit, especially if its with spyware, viruses, or dlls being missing.

Also, I've noticed random folders in my C:/Windows folder. Like "Uninstall$3897" or something like that, and they're hidden with blue text. Can I delete those?

Those folders contain all of the files that had been replaced during Windows updates. If you go to Add/Remove programs you will notice, at the bottom of the list, every Windows update you've ever done. You can "remove" the updates. By deleting those folders you lose the ability to remove the updates. If that doesn't bother you then there's no problem deleting them.

As already mentioned, backup anything worthwhile and reformat/use your recovery CD.

Also, when I start up the computer at first, it tells me I'm missing 4 .dll's. So I'm thinking they might be audio dll's or something.

Search the internet. It's quite easy to find .dll files. Just make sure you know where to put them. That's all. Hopefully that'll solve your audio problem.

As for me, the laptop I'm using is 5 years old and has a 20 gig HDD. The fan is loud and it makes a lot of heat. But that's just about the only complaints that I have. Otherwise, it works fine.=)

Alternatively, you can let XP fix its own missing parts. Go to Start > Run and enter "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Windows will now scan all system files, and replace the ones that are missing or changed. This can result in some updates being removed, and in most cases your original installation CD is required as a file source.

It says on the CD itself:

Operating System CD

Contains software and drivers already installed.

For software reinstallation and repairs only.

So I don't think I need it, my problem is just a little annoying. I'm afraid I'll mess up my computer or something. I want to get Vista soon anyway, maybe I'll just wait.

• 2 weeks later...

You want to get Vista for audio production? Good luck with that. I've only heard nothing but horror stories about Vista and audio/video. I'm not dumb enough to actually buy it; not while running hardware this old anyway (lol pentium 3 128mb ram 32mb video ram), and I haven't the money to upgrade. In fact, I have no money at all and I'm lucky to even have my Midiman, which I had to beg my parents to let me buy with my own money, mind you. <_<

It says on the CD itself:

Operating System CD

Contains software and drivers already installed.

For software reinstallation and repairs only.

So I don't think I need it, my problem is just a little annoying. I'm afraid I'll mess up my computer or something. I want to get Vista soon anyway, maybe I'll just wait.

Depending on how the OEM set up the CD, it can be either an XP install disk, or a special recovery disk that just restores an image of the OS. In case of the former, you can reinstall the OS with little data loss(Just installed programs), and in case of the latter it normally wipes your entire C drive. Find out what it does first before running it, and always make backups.

As for Vista, I'd wait until the first service pack or until it's been out for at least 6 months, if only for the sake of stability and driver availability.