Mario & Sonic together in an Olympic Games title!!

carra

Hmm, I have split reactions. More than simply seeing the two characters in one game, I'm more excited/interested in seeing the two universes come together.

"Personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi , Knuckles , Yoshi®, Tails and more."

I liked reading this bit, as the author(s) put characters from the respective series between each other, instead of being separated by franchise. That's when I realized the possibilities, and how (hopefully) each series will be represented equally.

My favourite part of this whole thing, though is this:

"Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic." I don't know whether these worlds and characters will be represented on-screen simultaneously, but I'm hoping for the revival of some of the older supporting characters from the Genesis Sonic games (especially the more commonplace bad guys).

But the Olympics? I really don't get it. I, like many others it seems, would have preferred an actual game franchise be their meeting point. I got the feeling that this will be a quick job (release later this year) and not be directed at people who have been playing Nintendo and Sega since the earlier days.

That being said, I'm also conflicted on its potential quality. If Miyamoto is involved, that gives it a huge benefit, as his games almost invariably turn out to be great. On the other hand, Sega is developing and has recently been running most of their franchises into the ground. I've long ago learnt not to doubt whatever Nintendo is up to - just look at initial reactions to the DS and Wii - so I'll wait for more information.

To be honest, though, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a strategy for gauging the interest of such a cross-over for different videogame demographics. I'm almost expecting this game to get cancelled and another idea (game) came up a few months later. The way this whole thing was revealed and presented makes me critical, as both Nintendo and Sega could have made a much bigger impact with it in any other way (even a simple non-gameplay video). So basically, like I've said, I'm more interested in seeing the two worlds come together than playing the actual game (now, if the Olympics were some kind of elaborate metaphor for target mode and an underwater stage for SSBB, I might be a little more interested).

Guys. This practically confirms Sonic for Smash Brother Brawl.

My reasoning?

SEGA is the one making this game, not Nintendo. Why would Nintendo let SEGA use their mascot and his friends? Perhaps it was part of a trade for Smash Brothers.

Which is why Sonic was also in F-zero GX.

I don't think it confirms anything. Plus, if Sonic was actually added, wouldn't he appear in a much earlier trailer to generate loads more hype for the game?

Not saying it's impossible, I just don't understand why people keep reading these things as hints for Brawl.

In my opinion, Sonic doesn't translate well to Smash Bros; he doesn't fight, he runs fast T__T.

I don't think it confirms anything. Plus, if Sonic was actually added, wouldn't he appear in a much earlier trailer to generate loads more hype for the game?

Not saying it's impossible, I just don't understand why people keep reading these things as hints for Brawl.

In my opinion, Sonic doesn't translate well to Smash Bros; he doesn't fight, he runs fast T__T.

Actually, I believe the repair saucer that would bring your car back to the track was driven by a couple of Chao from the Sonic series. At least, that's what it looked like.

Anyway, people who think this is the first mix up that the two will have? It's the first *announced* one. Brawl's due to come out before this, right? If that's the case, and Sonic is in it, (which is looking extremely likely at this point), Brawl would still be the first time Sonic and Mario meet on the same field to do battle. So, provided Sonic is in Brawl, and Brawl comes out before this game, you'll still have the Sonic versus Mario fight as the first time they'll encounter each other.

Fox doesn't fight, he flies in an Arwing

3 words: Star Fox Adventures.

Also, Peach doesn't *just* get kidnapped...she also uses her feminine emotions as power-ups to fight (that was the concept behind Super Princess Peach right?).

Point taken, at any rate.

Good lord, this game hasn't even come out and people are trashing it. Until I play it, I hold judgement on the quality.

As this being the first game Mario and Sonic come together? Well, I would have prefered Smash Bros. Brawl for that (but we still don't know the full roster of Smash characters anyways).

Oh ho ho. Ye of little faith shall bow before my well-tuned opinions in time. Hohoho.

Yeah. Perhaps I jumped to a conclusion there. But, I believe Sonic would make a good Brawl character. He's got the jumpy-spiney attack. He's got the speed dash attack. He can probably through a Chao or something.

And while I am still interested in this game, I would prefer to see Sonic and Mario star in Brawl together before the Olympics game.

If this news is true, then I'll turn up my nose and ignore it like all the mediocre spinoffs like 90% of Mario Party and Sports games.

Another thing to factor in in with the Super Smash series is that the thing is not very inclusive of games done by any other company.

It's like a self-pleasuring-fest in terms of Nintendo brand names with the thing. It doesn't really matter how popular Sonic is. If anyone would be against the idea, it won't be Sega. It'd be Nintendo and their narcissistic attitude towards their franchises.

If this news is true, then I'll turn up my nose and ignore it like all the mediocre spinoffs like 90% of Mario Party and Sports games.

Another thing to factor in in with the Super Smash series is that the thing is not very inclusive of games done by any other company.

It's like a self-pleasuring-fest in terms of Nintendo brand names with the thing. It doesn't really matter how popular Sonic is. If anyone would be against the idea, it won't be Sega. It'd be Nintendo and their narcissistic attitude towards their franchises.

I think you may be just a tad harsh. If I had such franchises such as Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc I would probably push them as far as they could go. People have been wanting a Mario vs/& Sonic game for quite sometime so, if done right, it has the potential to be a fantastic game.

I'm not trashing your opinion though. It's more than valid and I know that there are plenty of people that would agree with you.

Something that I noticed when reading that, was "churn water in a swimming heat." Sonic can't swim... At least, every Sonic game that I can think of implies this, as does many, if not all, of the cartoon/anime shows. I assume that many people wouldn't consider the cartoon/anime stuff as "cannon" perse, but even so, I've never known Sonic to swim. Obviously, the developers can change this, but I feel that it's out of place for Sonic. Oh well. Maybe he *finally* took lessons, or something...

Other than that little nitpick there, I say this lookin interesting. Certainly not the game I'd like to see their head to head competition take place it, but it's a start. Hopefully Brawl *does* have Sonic, and comes out before this game. I'd like to see some of those matches... I've never been a big fan of the Olympics. Still interesting though. Mouser X out.

I think you may be just a tad harsh. If I had such franchises such as Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc I would probably push them as far as they could go. People have been wanting a Mario vs/& Sonic game for quite sometime so, if done right, it has the potential to be a fantastic game.

I'm not trashing your opinion though. It's more than valid and I know that there are plenty of people that would agree with you.

By saying 'narcissistic', that's exactly what it is. I LOVE Nintendo games myself, but as far as marketing the games goes, Nintendo looks only at their games and that's their entire world to them. I'm not necessarily implying anything bad about Nintendo just because they tends to do business only inwards. But I simply can't see how they really factor in how any other company does things.

Miyamoto has gone on record saying he would like to see it.

It would be nice if Miyamoto actually had some weight to his words nowadays instead of being a part of the Nintendo warmachine so to speak.